30-40 days too little time?

DiscoDisco

I've an opportunity at the moment to take just over a month off from work and I've been wanting to make this journey for a few years. Is it reasonable to complete the walk from Canterbury in such a time frame? I ought to mention that I'm in good shape and have previous experience walking other long treks.

JabbaPapa

Well, if you are bloody fast to the extent of being able to manage a 40K daily average and more, then maybe -- but probably not TBH.

At 42 Km/day it took me 44 days from Paris to Santiago, and that's a much shorter distance.

So unless you're capable of something like a 50K/day average, that's clearly insufficient time for the distance.

DiscoDisco

Well, if you are bloody fast to the extent of being able to manage a 40K daily average and more, then maybe -- but probably not TBH.

At 42 Km/day it took me 44 days from Paris to Santiago, and that's a much shorter distance.

So unless you're capable of something like a 50K/day average, that's clearly insufficient time for the distance.
Appreciate the response, I think I'll take the plunge as I've no idea when this opportunity might arise again. I'll just rise early and walk until sundown. Cheers.

Patrick

Hmmmm....why don’t you walk reasonable, enjoyable distances for the time you have, finish wherever you finish, almost certainly well short of Rome, making the best of each day, and then go home from wherever you are when your days are done. Finish the trip over a series of years, or not. The journey can be the thing, as opposed to the destination. If getting to Rome matters, and it might, maybe start somewhere much closer to it. The Via Francigena app suggests starting at Santa Cristina, heading to Orio Litta, as a reasonable first stage of 30 days. Note that you would be starting in Italy, not GB or France. Best to you!

Tim Redmond

@DiscoDisco You would be talking about a very high mileage and walking will take a long time of each day. If you really are set on doing it, search for Ross Simpson, on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram (but not on this forum) who ran from Canterbury to Sicily last summer, camping along the way. He was behind me as I walked and we kept in touch. I am sure he would give you advice.
See one account here: https://www.youthcancertrust.org/ross-simpson-has-completed-his-1800-mile-run-for-youth-cancer-trust/

Last edited:

Chrisy

No way as fit as you are it can not be done in such a short time .Canterbury to Dover 1day then cross the channel the same day if you can get a booking As foot passenger (rest on the boat) I have walked Lausanne to Turin and that took a had 12day walk .Its a difficult walk in places towards GSP .90 days more like it to enjoy as well .Cx

frida1

The short answer is no. It is humanly possible, but unless your object is to engage in an extreme sport, why? Choose a portion and enjoy it. We did St Bernard to Rome in that amount of time.

DiscoDisco

Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately due to work commitments I couldn't take the time off to take the trip. I still plan to figure something out but who knows when.

Reactions: Jan