accommodation list for the italian part of via francigena

Attachments

sulu

Thank you Caminka. it is always really useful to get a good update.
I have 1 question; you say Sarzana church accommodation is unfriendly, that must mean that you found it to be open :) I can cope with unfriendly if I'm desperate for a bed, closed is a different matter entirely and many source were saying that it was closed!
I'm not sure that I will get to finish the Via Francigena but I'm enjoying the planning, so thanks again.
Sue

as I have understood the blog reports, it says on the door that pilgrims are welcome, but when pilgrims want to stay here, they are turned away. I think only one blogger actually stayed there, but I don't remember anymore when. it is listed in most accommodation lists, though.
the solution I have seen some people doing is to call to avenza, hop on a train, stay there, in the morning hop on a train back to sarzana, walk to avenza, and stay there another night. avenza's parrochia is reported to be very nice.

when I stayed in sarzana in 2012, I slept in instituto la missione a short way up from the town. it's a social institution of some kind, I was given a lecture room with a view of sarzana (I had a mattress and a sleeping bag), there was a toilet and a shower too, I think, and I even got a dinner with the staff and inmates. they were very kind. it's on via carducci and the phone number then was 0187/620 240. but it's not mentioned on any site now, so they probably don't take pilgrims anymore.

I have read your blog on vf, @sulu and I have some questions.

did you take the upper alternative from martingy? it looks that way from your photos.

parish of st martin in aosta really doesn't take pilgrims anymore? as I understood from a www site, I think, they have two appartments with 2-3 beds, but they never let different pilgrims share. so you need to call ahead and cross your fingers.

sulu

as I have understood the blog reports, it says on the door that pilgrims are welcome, but when pilgrims want to stay here, they are turned away. I think only one blogger actually stayed there, but I don't remember anymore when. it is listed in most accommodation lists, though.
the solution I have seen some people doing is to call to avenza, hop on a train, stay there, in the morning hop on a train back to sarzana, walk to avenza, and stay there another night. avenza's parrochia is reported to be very nice.

when I stayed in sarzana in 2012, I slept in instituto la missione a short way up from the town. it's a social institution of some kind, I was given a lecture room with a view of sarzana (I had a mattress and a sleeping bag), there was a toilet and a shower too, I think, and I even got a dinner with the staff and inmates. they were very kind. it's on via carducci and the phone number then was 0187/620 240. but it's not mentioned on any site now, so they probably don't take pilgrims anymore.
That's the trouble, places often stop taking pilgrims for one reason or another; it can make life difficult, or very expensive!

sulu

I have read your blog on vf, @sulu and I have some questions.

did you take the upper alternative from martingy? it looks that way from your photos.

parish of st martin in aosta really doesn't take pilgrims anymore? as I understood from a www site, I think, they have two appartments with 2-3 beds, but they never let different pilgrims share. so you need to call ahead and cross your fingers.
I'm afraid I cheated a bit in Switzerland, too expensive by half. I walked from Martigny Ville to Martigny Croix and took the train to Sembrancher and walked from there.
In September 2017 I was categorically told by the receptionist lady in St Martin's parish that they no longer take pilgrims. It was not that the place was full, I was the only pilgrim around. It was disappointing as it is a long walk. Maybe they have started again, maybe sites haven't been updated. It's a big problem when you arrive very tired somewhere and find the accommodation you expect isn't taking anymore.

In September 2017 I was categorically told by the receptionist lady in St Martin's parish that they no longer take pilgrims. It was not that the place was full, I was the only pilgrim around. It was disappointing as it is a long walk. Maybe they have started again, maybe sites haven't been updated. It's a big problem when you arrive very tired somewhere and find the accommodation you expect isn't taking anymore.
oh, bummer. that was the only really budget accommodation in aosta. it would be good if some other pilgrim could confirm this for this year.

William Marques

Staff member
This is from the CPR Accommodation List I used to run so is somewhat out of date but perhaps the other addresses will reassure you that there are alternative places to stay.

Sarzana
Convento San Francesco Donation, Via Paci 8 or 9? +39 (0)187 620 356 I stayed here in 2006 but this year v disappointing. In 2006 I had single room and shower & loo in corridor. This time had mattress on floor in downstairs room, lots of traffic noise. Loo in corridor. No shower. Was told I could wash outside in the yard at nightfall. Alas the penalty of others' abuse of facilities. It is basically a flop house for street people, sorry but that is the best way to describe it. They have room with a few mattresses and no locks, very basic facilities. On the other hand was given a handful of greengages by someone whose house had a door onto the yard.
Parish of San VenanzioVia Crociata 33 +39 (0)187 621 036
Centro la Missione Via G. Carducci, 5 +39 (0)187 611 2718 mariagrazia.v@consorziocometa.org
Auberge La Villetta 55 euro, Via Sobborgo Emiliano 2419038 Sarzana +39 (0)187 620 195 lavilletta@luna.it Pricey with no breakfast. Nice room en-suite. - We checked out the Convennto and we were about to stay there and decided not to. Instead we took a basic 3 star hotel. I would recommend this place.
La Locanda dei Limone 40 euro, Piazza Jurgens 14+39 (0)0187 621 485 locandadeilimoni@virgilio.it Next to train station. Very friendly welcome. Closed when I arrived on Sunday afternoon, but there is a phone number to call. WiFi in the common area. Comfortable room and bed. The rooms are built round a grassy courtyard, planted with fruit trees. There is a wide veranda with table and chairs outside the rooms for relaxing, eating etc. Very welcoming
Hotel Al Sant Andrea 40 euro, Via Variante Aurelia 32 Far side of railway on SS1

This is from the CPR Accommodation List I used to run so is somewhat out of date but perhaps the other addresses will reassure you that there are alternative places to stay.
thank you for the info, @William Marques. I know there are other places to stay, but as they are usually above my budget, I don't pay them that much attention. :rolleyes:

albergo la villetta is known to have a pilgrim price for one person €25-30 and breakfast €3 in a bar nearby (except monday).

parrochia san venanzio I haven't seen on any recent accommodation list, but it did figure as a possible pilgrim accommodation in 2012.

there is also B&B del viaggiatore across the square from dei limone (BB €40-45 for one is the price from their site). double with breakfast €75, according to google. 328/109 0867.