Accommodation 'Review' Aosta-Rome 2018

Ed Kay

@jujubery asked me to post information about where I've stayed on my VF so far, hopefully this may be useful to others.

I took a train from Fornovo to Pontremoli as I messed up the logistics for the mountain stages and was nervous about crossing them alone (probably unwarranted) and now I've stopped in Aulla at a friends house for a few days. I plan to be back on the route probably after the weekend. Hopefully he rain will have gone by then, too!

Chatillon - Franciscan Capuchin Monastery - €d
3 bed guest room, heated with hot shower. English speaker.

Verres - Prevostura di Saint-Gilles - €d
Room in poor condition - the multiple bunks covered in whitewash from the crumbling ceiling. No heating so very cold. Hot shower. No English so arrangements were tricky. Office up in the St Gilles complex but you are given a number to ring on arrival and I waited in the church.

Borgofranco D'Ivrea - Ostello Via Francigena
Hostel seemed clean and with good facilities but I was redirected to a B&B in town. Owner spoke broken English but was exceedingly helpful in booking onward accommodation.

Roppolo - B&B Villa Emilia - €25
Loretta was super friendly and kind. Cost included amazing home cooked dinner and breakfast. Accommodation a lovely, quirky little flat with kitchen and dining room. Amazing hospitality - highly recommended!

San Germano Vercellese - Leon D'Oro - €20
Local pizzeria with rooms upstairs, booked for me by Loretta in Roppolo, but the waiter spoke broken English on my arrival.

Vercelli - Hospitale Sancte Eusebi - €d
Excellent hostel with dinner and breakfast served by a volunteer. Some English. Recommended.

Nicorvo - Ospitale di Nicorvo - €d
Unfortunately the hostel suffered a disaster, with significant water damage a day or so before we arrived. We were kindly housed in a nearby flat and ate at the local pizzeria.

Garlasco - Comunita Exodus - €d
This is a camp for troubled youths, but the peregrino accommodation is separate and very good. There were 17 residents when I was there, with 4 staff, and the atmosphere was very welcoming and friendly. Dinner and breakfast included. Some English amongst the staff.

Pavia - B&B Le Azalee - €25
Lovely little flat with kitchen. Included cooked breakfast. Hosts spoke a little English and were incredibly kind and welcoming.

Santa Cristina e Bissone - Parrochia di Santa Cristina - €d
Excellent hostel, good shower and kitchen.

Orio Litta - Ostello Grange Benedettina - €d
Beautifully renovated grange with kitchen. Pilgrim accommodation in the 'tower' with great views. English speaker.

Piacenza - Ostello San Pietro - €d
Located in Montale, 5km from Piacenza. Collect the keys from nearby house/cafe (there was some confusion in instructions despite the English speaker who answered the phone). Excellent hostel with fully equipped kitchen.

Fiorenzuola d'Arda - Parrochia di San Fiorenzo -€d
Warm beds and hot shower. English speaker. Very welcoming. Office to the right of the cathedral.

Fidenza - Ospitale San Donnino - €10
Lovely warm hostel with hot shower and kitchen. Keys from tourist office, where they speak English, underneath the castle tower in front of the cathedral.

Fornovo di Taro - Duomo di Santa Maria Assunta - €10
Warm room, hot shower, very welcoming hosts (at the ACLI bar to the left of the church). Made me dinner (€8) because everything was closed, it being Easter Monday!

Thanks Ed! On the path behind you about 3 days. Have not encountered any pilgrims. Another can’t miss is in Cassio. Ostello di Cassio Parmense. Warm welcome. Fully stocked kitchen for you to cook for a donation! Lovely.
Have had rain for 2 days and the mule paths are extremely muddy and slippery. Took the road to Berceto today to avoid any mishaps!
Treated ourselves to a lovely B&B “La Casa dei Nonni”
Take care,
Jujubery

Stayed in the castle in Pontremoli. Amazing, had a massive thunderstorm at night and being atop of the town in the castle was an experience! Andrea gave us a warm welcome

I just loved that castle!!!
The visits end around 4 or 5pm but an American family arrived about 5mn before shutting time.... We had hung our washing on the railings and we could hear them wondering : 'Ooooh, look! Must be a sect living here or something....'

thank you for sharing, ed!

I have a question.

@jujubery
Verres - Prevostura di Saint-Gilles - €d
Room in poor condition - the multiple bunks covered in whitewash from the crumbling ceiling. No heating so very cold. Hot shower. No English so arrangements were tricky. Office up in the St Gilles complex but you are given a number to ring on arrival and I waited in the church.
is this the same as casa del pellegrino in a house below the church?

Ed Kay

@caminka - the place I stayed was up the cobbled pedestrian street from the town, and off to the right before you got to the church, but literally 20 feet from the church door, in the St Gilles 'complex'

Bradypus

Stayed in the castle in Pontremoli. Amazing, had a massive thunderstorm at night and being atop of the town in the castle was an experience! Andrea gave us a warm welcome
Exactly my experience in 2015! That night I had the entire castle to myself. Extraordinary to walk back up from having pizza in the town with the keys for my very own castle in my pocket :) I was woken early in the morning by a thunderstorm and watched the lightning flashing over the town below as the walls of the building shook with the thunder. Very dramatic :)