Accomodations in Italy

Ronha

My wife & I walked the Via Francigena from Ivrea to Rome starting Sept 1 of this year. We stayed exclusively in Guest Houses, B&B’s and Hotels. Guest Houses are like B&B’s but rarely if ever is the proprietor there. You almost always have to call to be let in upon arrival. There are rarely any meals including breakfast. There might be a plastic wrapped croissant, cookies and instant coffee. You are basically on your own. B&B’s can be better depending on the B&B. You might have to call to be let in and there might be a breakfast served. If there is a breakfast, it is usually a good one. The proprietor might or might not be there all the time. Usually not. It is easier to get help if you need it. Hotels offer what you would think. There is usually a restaurant and someone there 24 hrs a day. If you need help, they can help. A nice breakfast is almost always served.

Hi, I will be walking from Siena to Rome start May 2019 (similar to september in terms of tourist season I would expect).
And I was wondering about the availability.
I like my trip to be less "planned", so would prefer if didn't need to book all accomodations ahead of time.
Did you feel it was necessary to book ahead of time, or was it possible to find accomodations (B&B, Hotels) when arriving at each leg without prebooking?

If I were to walk with unplanned accommodations, I would start with checking for accommodations in the villages near where I think I would be staying for the night. Not all villages have places to stay. I would start with the basic pilgrim housing and work up from there. I used the routing provided at https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/mappe/. Some of these distances were too long to walk so we would take local transportation (taxi, bus, train) to a closer starting place. A number of times we had to travel to a nearby village to find a place to stay and then travel back to our starting point the next morning. I use Booking.com exclusively when I travel. I have found they pretty much cover the world. If I can't find anything using them, I use Google Earth. Google Earth will show accommodations not found by Booking.com. Basically, I would have a good idea of the possible accommodations that will be available to me.

In Italy, I walked from ST Bernard to Rome and stayed in hostels and monasteries all the way.
Each night was 15 euros or less and it was fun meeting other hikers.
Via francigena app posts the above, on each section-Call ahead to reserve a spot.

Gretel(Vermont)

Im also planning to use booking.com
I have checked each leg and in villages where there is only 1 hotels/b&b, I would most likely book in Advance.
Where the hotels/B&B filled up in capacity in september?

I would love to sleep the real pilgrim way using monasteries, but reading it seems like you have to call them ahead of time and "book" in italien. which im not very good at. this discourages me...

Im also planning to use booking.com
I have checked each leg and in villages where there is only 1 hotels/b&b, I would most likely book in Advance.
Where the hotels/B&B filled up in capacity in september?

I would love to sleep the real pilgrim way using monasteries, but reading it seems like you have to call them ahead of time and "book" in italien. which im not very good at. this discourages me...
I don’t speak any Italian, just speak English very slowly- or write down the request in Italian and speak slowly. The hosts try to understand us. You can also use “google translate”, this really helps.