Biking possibilities?

Zwonkie

Hi all,

I was planning to start walking via Francigena at the start of may.
Unfortunately it seems I have developed some feet issues which could hinder me from walking my planned itinerary from Siena to Rome.
Since hotels are already booked, im looking for alternative ways to get through my internary and was thinking about biking.

What possibilties are there for this?
1) Can you rent a bike in siena and hand it over in rome?
2) Any possiblity for buying a bike in Siena (used/cheap)?
3) I was planing to use the Via francigna bike route primarely, but since the hotels are planned with hiking in mind, would it be possible to biking on the hiking route?
4) any ideas are much appriciated.

If you start further north at Colle Val D'Elsa there is a Decathalon store where you can purchase a suitable model between €150 and €250. I picked one up in Spain doing the Camino and will be taking it to Rome. Solid enough to do a couple of thousand miles so far.

At Rome I will be donating it to Bici X Umanità (http://www.bicixumanita.it/ ) for onward use by others.

As regards biking the hiking route try www.ridewithgps.com. If you trace your route using their online facility it will show the parts where the gradient is more than 3% so you can decide yourself if you need to detour. Also if biking you are 3 times faster than walking so you may miss a few sections or have very short days.

Colle Val D'Elsa to Rome is about 200 miles on the cycle route. Only 37 miles are 3% gradient or more.

Zwonkie

Thank you for sharing some ideas.
I think this could work. What was your experience with "punctures" on the Camino?

Since the hotels are already booked for hiking (~20km/day), i guess my travel time will be very short.
But this allows for more time visiting other stuff not far from the trails. (I try to see the positive in it)

Please keep the suggestion coming..

What was your experience with "punctures" on the Camino?
No issues as it was a new bike. But if you have concerns then you take spare inner tubes with you which can either be standard (€2-3) or self-healing (€5-6). And a pump of course.

As an aside, the weather forecast is good for this weekend, so I'll be doing the Canterbury - Dover section to get at least one section chalked off. If anyone is doing the same, give me a shout. 292

Zwonkie

Nice picture and thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

I will be landing in Pisa and noticed they had a Decathalon.
I could pickup the bike and take it with me on the train to Siena (start of internary).
Any commnets on the durability of hybrid vs mtb for the cheaper BTWIN?

The cheaper (road) bike will be fine. I rode with an Italian on the Camino who purchased one as I did in Spain and he was happy with it. MTB is for when you intentionally want to go off road.

If you check the cycle route version of Open Street Map (https://www.opencyclemap.org/ ) you'll see there is a complete cycle route (VFB) that runs from close to Pisa down to Rome and through Siena. All simple country roads. I've travelled a few of these and apart from the narrowness of some of the routes, they are excellent for riding. And the views ..... wait till you see them.