Buying Trekking Poles in Italy

My wife and I use Trekking or Walking Poles when we hike.

We did the Camino across Spain but left our expensive Leki shock absorbing poles at home because we didn't want to "check" them through the airline luggage system since everything else we had was "carry on" size. We just bought a couple pairs of cheap poles when we arrived in Southern France and started our Camino. But we knew ahead of time that there were plenty of shops in St Jean to buy poles for modest prices.

Are trekking poles readily available in Italy. Specifically in Florence as we will likely be flying into Florence. Any shops there you can recommend were we can buy modest sets of poles?

We did the Camino across Spain but left our expensive Leki shock absorbing poles at home because we didn't want to "check" them through the airline luggage system since everything else we had was "carry on" size. We just bought a couple pairs of cheap poles when we arrived in Southern France and started our Camino. But we knew ahead of time that there were plenty of shops in St Jean to buy poles for modest prices.

Are trekking poles readily available in Italy. Specifically in Florence as we will likely be flying into Florence. Any shops there you can recommend were we can buy modest sets of poles?

I am flying to Rome the end of April, then train to Orvieto for a couple of days before walking Bolsena-Rome.
I also would like to know if/where I can pick up treking poles. Will folow this thread.

Piero Frustascarpe

Staff member
Of course!
You can find them in all the sports shops.
In the outskirts of Florence there is also Decathlon, just in case you forgot any item for your pilgrimage.
And here you can find a short list of other shops.

Hello... I have Black Diamond Z poles with rubber tips. They fold and easily fit in carryon backpack. Flew from states into Madrid and again into Lisbon last year to hike the Frances and the Portuguese. They'll be in my pack again in two weeks when I fly to Milan to start the Via Francigena!! Never had an issue with them.. . just another option. Ultreia! !!

Ronha

Hello... I have Black Diamond Z poles with rubber tips. They fold and easily fit in carryon backpack. Flew from states into Madrid and again into Lisbon last year to hike the Frances and the Portuguese. They'll be in my pack again in two weeks when I fly to Milan to start the Via Francigena!! Never had an issue with them.. . just another option. Ultreia! !!
Thank you Grace! I have these poles as well. I've always checked them. Please let me know how it goes with your trip to Milan. I fly into Italy at the end of May and will begin my walk from Fidenza into Rome.

Thank you Grace! I have these poles as well. I've always checked them. Please let me know how it goes with your trip to Milan. I fly into Italy at the end of May and will begin my walk from Fidenza into Rome.
Will try to post once there and hopefully the poles and I will have an uneventful trip and start our trek in Aosta by the 17th!!! Hope yours goes well also! Ultreia!

Ronha

When I walked the Camino the first time, I boarded the plane with what I was going to walk the Camino with. I live in Seattle so lots of Asian shops here where I purchased the split toe socks many Asians wear. This enabled me to wear my flip flops on the plane. I carried my poles on every plane I have flown on without a problem. This covers Seattle to NY. NY to Paris. Paris to Madrid, etc. I have know people who put their poles in the round mailing tubes and checked that.
Ron

When I walked the Camino the first time, I boarded the plane with what I was going to walk the Camino with. I live in Seattle so lots of Asian shops here where I purchased the split toe socks many Asians wear. This enabled me to wear my flip flops on the plane. I carried my poles on every plane I have flown on without a problem. This covers Seattle to NY. NY to Paris. Paris to Madrid, etc. I have know people who put their poles in the round mailing tubes and checked that.
Ron
I’ve been stopped at check in several times and had my poles taken and set through baggage!