Camino Francigena in September?

Beah

Hi fellow Pilgrims.We are Beah and Dennis Pedersen.

We walked to Santiago in 2013...incredible experience....and are planning to walk to Rome this fall, 2016.

Has anyone experienced that part of Europe in September? We were hoping to avoid summer heat and will not be ready in Spring...

Also...for those of you who have walked it, do you recommend planning accommodations before the walk if you are not planning on camping?

Thank you for sharing your experience and wisdom

William Marques

Staff member
Where are you starting from? Your start point will make a difference as if it is Canterbury it will be mid October by the time you reach the St Bernard Pass and late November by the time you reach Rome.

sojournerKarl

I do wish you a great journey. I am planning on walking from Canterbury to St. Peter's beginning the end of April. I have many of the same questions as you. I am going to try to have my daily places of rest reserved for at least the first week. After reading all the blogs I can, I know that in many cases reservations are necessary but maybe only a day or two in advance. I am excited for the challenge of lodging and of the long distances involved. However, I am going to walk my walk as I have given myself 85 days to walk it.

I do wish you a safe and bountiful journey.

Karl

Ning

Beah -- we may be on the Via at the same time as you....depending on your starting point. My husband John and I are starting in Lucca, Italy on August 17 and will be in Rome on September 12.

We also walked the Camino Frances -- in 2015. An amazing experience! We used a company (from Ireland) to help with logistics (booking rooms and transporting luggage) called Camino Ways. They're also managing our Via Francigena program. We walk for 5 days -- and then take a break day.

I don't know if the fact that it's a Holy Year will mean more pilgrims on the Via Francigena or not. Perhaps we'll see you there!

Buen Camino! Ning

Dennis Tam

Hello Beah, Sept. is a perfect time to walk the Via Francigena. I have walked it from Lucca to Siena a few year back late August - early Sept. Even though it was late August, the heat was still very intensive at the Tuscan region while we were there. I assuming from mid to late Sept. on, the weather would be nice, not so hot and no rain yet.

Do plan out your accommodation before you leave. Via Francigena's pilgrim infrastructure isn't like Camino Frances, it is road less travel thus require more planning. A few pilgrim lodging places were either close for good or close for the season while we were there. Sometime a pilgrim Albergue would be filled with bus load of organized walking tour pilgrims. A phone call ahead would of solve that issue for me.

Having said that, between my broken Italian and my guide book's information, we always found a place to rest every night. We called a day or 2 ahead and have a back up plan to stay at hotel in case Albergue didn't work out. Do bring a cell phone with you and a few basic Italian would be useful too. Choose pilgrim Albergue first as it is more economical, many are by donation. Hotel usually it is about 20 Euro and up. Do call a day ahead to let the host know when you will be arriving if you are staying in a pilgrim Albergue (so the host can let you in when you get there).

Also pay attention to the way marks along the less populated area. We have followed some out of date way marks and lost in a forest. We used the GPS in my phone to back track our way out.

The most unique pilgrim hostel was at San Miniato Basso. It was a self catered pilgrim lodge room with wash room that is part of the local hospital. You check in at the front desk of the hospital and show the staff your pilgrim passport. The pilgrim hostel room which is right beside what I think must be the ambulance parking garage. The staff also presented us an official Via Francigena certificate with our names written in Latin.

It was an great pilgrimage journey for me and hope it will be for you too!

Dennis

Donna Mosello

Hi Beah and Dennis!
I too have walk the Francés in September of 2015 from St. Jean to Santiago.
This October (2017), I plan on walking the Via Francigena right around the first week of October. Being that I'm starting from the Grand St. Bernard Pass in Switzerland, I did not want to start any later than that because of the possibility of snow.
What I am looking forward to is walking through Tuscany. From mid October to mid November the weather is perfect in that area. Any earlier and it's really hot.
I wish you both a buen camino in bella Italia!

simonshum

Hi Beah and Dennis!
I too have walk the Francés in September of 2015 from St. Jean to Santiago.
This October (2017), I plan on walking the Via Francigena right around the first week of October. Being that I'm starting from the Grand St. Bernard Pass in Switzerland, I did not want to start any later than that because of the possibility of snow.
What I am looking forward to is walking through Tuscany. From mid October to mid November the weather is perfect in that area. Any earlier and it's really hot.
I wish you both a buen camino in bella Italia!
Hello Donna, my wife and I will be arriving Rome from Canada on October 16, 2017 and heading to Florence to rest couple days or a bit of site-seeing in Cinque Terre. Then we will start walking from Lucca to Rome. We might cross path with you, hope GSB is still passable for you! Hope you are right about the weather in VF this time of year!
Buon Camino!

Donna Mosello

Hello Donna, my wife and I will be arriving Rome from Canada on October 16, 2017 and heading to Florence to rest couple days or a bit of site-seeing in Cinque Terre. Then we will start walking from Lucca to Rome. We might cross path with you, hope GSB is still passable for you! Hope you are right about the weather in VF this time of year!
Buon Camino!
Yes....that would be nice if we cross paths. It happened to me on the Francés. I ran into friends from the Camino Club in Southern California. I was 200 miles into my walk when I heard someone yell "Hey Donnnnnnnna!" Haha! We never know. I do hope that the weather in GSB is OK. I see some snow flurries on my iPhone weather app. Buon Cammino!

Donna Mosello

By the way Donna, in case you are not aware of it, there is a free app, http://www.sloways.eu/en/the-via-francigena-apps/
I just downloaded the app, and the maps for each stage. It is really easy to use as according to other users!
Buon Camino and see you soon!
Hi Beah & Dennis,
Yes, I already downloaded the SloWays App.
From what I see in this App, I will probably use it as my prime information source.
Thanks,
Donna
Buon Cammino!