Camping alone all the way

Discussion in 'Pilgrim accommodation' started by henrytdrummond, Aug 18, 2017.

1. henrytdrummond

henrytdrummond New Member

Hey all!

I'm considering trying to walk from Canterbury to Rome from August 2018. I do not really expect anybody else to commit to such a long journey, so I'm resolved to camp on my own all the way.

Do people know whether this is feasible and safe? I have a 1kg tent, so I am hoping it would be light enough. I'm just wondering whether it's advisable to do it alone from a safety point of view.

Sorry for cross-posting from the Camino forum. Not sure where's best to get a response!

Thanks

2. sulu

sulu New Member

Hi!
    Either place probably but I answered you there first!!!

3. Jessica Johnson

Jessica Johnson New Member

Hi! I am alone and have camped 12 days out of 28. Very safe an easy to find spaces. I hope to arrive in Rome late October. Jessica

4. sulu

sulu New Member

Hi Jessica! Where are you now?

5. Jessica Johnson

I am in Saint Loop sur aujon. Spent a wonderful night with the sisters at the monastery. Off to Langres soon.

6. sulu

sulu New Member

Great, I plan to spend the night there in 2 weeks :) Have a wonderful camino.

7. snotpeer

snotpeer New Member

I'm taking off in May '18 from C'bury with tent ... I'll let you know by then ...

8. Domigee

Domigee New Member

Hi! I did camp on the French part of the VF but no wild camping. Stayed in campsites or gîtes' gardens (it was July and often they were full).
    I haven't walked the Swiss part but I definitively would have used my tent - the accommodation seems very expensive!
    I didn't see anyone camping in Italy, mind you it was so hot I don't think it would have been possible! Plenty of cheap ostellos in Italy and often VERY nice, I think I would have sent my tent back home.
    Have fun!

9. Jessica Johnson

Hi, I camped many times (15 nights) on the French side and only 2 times in actual campgrounds. I never had a Problem finding a spot and was always respectful of owners and their property. I am a woman walking alone and had no issues with safety. I had to stop walking in Switzerland due to family issues at home, but plan to return in the spring and will continue to camp when accommodations are sparse or full.

Domigee likes this.