Canterbury to Rome 2017

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jill, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Jill

Jill New Member

Hi, I’m Jill from South Africa. Planning to start from Canterbury in June 2017. My budget doesn’t stretch to hotels and pensions, so will have to camp when there is no pilgrim accommodation. Hoping to meet other like-minded pilgrims along the way. 20 kms a day is about my average walking speed.

2. Charl Durand

Charl Durand New Member

Hi Jill, Charl here, also from SA! Planning to start from Aosta in April. Best of luck and enjoy the walk!

Jill likes this.
  3. Tim Redmond

Tim Redmond New Member

If you are still planning to go June, I would very much like to hear how you get on. I plan to have a go next year (2018). Not very enthusiastic about camping, but will not be affording many hotels either! I would be interested particularly in how you get on with accommodation. Tim

4. Jill

Jill New Member

Hi Tim, I have had to abandon the idea of walking from Canterbury to Rome as I cannot afford the accommodation in France and Switzerland. Campsites are few and far between. Unfortunately the Via Francigena is not an option for me. Jill

Tim Redmond likes this.
  5. Tim Redmond

Tim Redmond New Member

Jill, Thanks so much for your reply. I am getting the same impression that the French leg of the journey may be unreasonably expensive! I am reluctant to carry a tent, though I have not completely ruled it out yet. Tim

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  6. sulu

sulu New Member

Hi Jill & Tim, I'm like minded which is why I am going to jump a section of Switzerland but I am going to attempt to do France, though only from Reims, as economically as possible. There are a few gites and parish accommodation, I've booked my flight so I'm committed, I'll be walking in September and will post on the accommodation I find. I'm only planning 1 night in a hotel and that will be for my birthday, my credit card will come out for that :D

Tim Redmond likes this.
  7. Jessica Johnson

Jessica Johnson New Member

Hi! I am planning on starting in Canterbury late July. I am carrying a tent and will use it when possible. I understand it can be expensive in France and Switzerland but am excited to start my journey soon!

Tim Redmond likes this.
  8. sulu

sulu New Member

I start in Reims on September 1st so our paths may cross but I think you will be several days ahead of me, at least until Switzerland. All the best, I hope it goes really well for you.

9. Tim Redmond

Tim Redmond New Member

Jessica I would be most interested to hear how you get on. I am reluctant(-ish) to camp(!) :(but suspect it is the only affordable option.

10. David Bezear

David Bezear New Member

Hi all

My name is David and with my partner Tanya we are planning to walk the VF in Jun/Jul 18. We have two treks to complete prior in NZ and Japan so our dates are open still. We have a blog theglobalhobos.weebly.com if your interested in following but will stay active in this forum as we get close. Like you Tim we are keen to cut costs by camping when possible. Looking forward to sharing our experiences and dreams.

David

Tim Redmond likes this.
  11. Tim Redmond

Tim Redmond New Member

David,
    Will be interested to hear how your plans develop. Where do you hope to start?
    If all goes well I hope to set out around Easter next year, but nothing set in stone yet! And I definitely need to update my camping skills first!
    Best of luck.
    Tim

12. David Bezear

David Bezear New Member

Hi Tim

We will be starting from Canterbury.

Tim Redmond likes this.
  13. Jotown

Jotown New Member

Hi Tim, and everyone..
    Yes, France can be expensive, however there are many differring associations who will help you to get cheap(er) accomodations, along with the people themselves - who at times passed me along like a (cheap) parcel !!
    You just have to be open to it, accepting what is given...sharing whatever is available, including knowledge..

Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome(English) accomodation guides
    Facebook group ( I understand is quite useful,although I Don't do FB!)
    Lightfoot guides
    French,Swiss and Italian associations !

I started by sleeping on the floor of a church ( in England), and even a Chateaux (donativo) ! ,
    along with many differring classes of beds !

Tim Redmond likes this.
  14. Jotown

Jotown New Member

Tim Redmond and ivar like this.