Canterbury to Rome, maybe then Rome to Santiago

mutley234

Just a quick intro... My name is Mike from the UK and I walked the Camino De Santiago from SJPDP to Santiago last year and miss it and, everything that goes with it so much. I am now looking at walking Canterbury to Rome, maybe then Rome to Santiago in 2020. I'm here to look for someone, group of people, to start the walk with (maybe the whole way) and, like minded people to converse with.

Phil Smith

Hello Mike, I too am considering the pilgrimage from Canterbury to Rome, though a couple of years later than you. One question which has vexed me is the 90 day rule for U.K. residents in the EU Schengen area. If you are intending walking to Rome I am under the impression you could do that within the 90 days. However, if you want to then turn to walk to Santiago you would, I think, fall foul of the 90 day rule. This article gives some guidance https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/how-to-legally-stay-in-europe-for-more-than-90-days/#third
though I cannot vouch for its veracity.
It all looks complex to me! If you find a way round it, I'd be delighted to hear how!!
Buen Camino

As matters stand there is no 90 day limit for UK and Irish citizens in the Schengen area. Post Brexit, if it happens, the issue may be raised but there are no plans. Click on note 18

British citizens who are EU citizens have freedom of movement in the European Union. Other British nationals who are not EU citizens are visa-exempt under Annex II of the regulation.[18] With the planned withdrawal of the UK from the EU, British nationals would lose these privileges. The EU has agreed to extend visa-free status to all British nationals, provided the UK implements reciprocal regulations for EU citizens.[171][172]
Source: Wikipedia

@mutley234

Good luck with your plans. You won't see many pilgrims until you get to Lucca in Italy. And you may not see anyone not even pilgrims, in long sections in France.

mutley234

Hi Phil... As a Brit, whilst we are currently in the EU, I can stay as long as I like but, post BREXIT I am not too sure. It all depends on what they decide but, for non Europeans currently I believe that 3 months is maximum... I'm sure that someone more enlightened that me can let you know...

Buen Camino