Canterbury to Rome - the 4-5 year plan!

Pong

Hi all. In about 2 weeks I'll be leaving the states for Canterbury and head south east from there. I'm on the 4 or 5 year plan to Rome, God willing/Inshalla (especially since I'm 71), as I don't like to be away from home and family and have responsibilities that make longer times away more difficult. Anyway, this time, for reasons of health and horrid Northeast weather, I haven't trained much at all, so distance walked will be whatever works. I'm traveling alone, so no need to please anyone else. I did the Francès on the 2 year plan, and that worked out well. I don't expect to meet too many other pilgrims, but perhaps our paths will cross. Bonne route!

@71 you'll still be a youngster in some location in Italy. You'll not meet many pilgrims either until you get there but you will get solitude until then.

Pick up a sim/data package when you arrive in *France* and update us of your progress.

Wish you bonne route

Pong

@71 you'll still be a youngster in some location in Italy. You'll not meet many pilgrims either until you get there but you will get solitude until then.

Pick up a sim/data package when you arrive in *France* and update us of your progress.

Wish you bonne route
Thank you for your kind wishes. I certainly feel blessed to be doing this at 71. I have met 80+ year olds completing the 2000+ mile Appalachian Trail, so have some good role models. I have already gotten a French sim. On past caminos, once done dinner and chores, I had little energy to communicate beyond brief "I'm OK"s to family, though I called my husband almost every mid-day to lighten his worry about me. That said, I'll keep the forum in mind and may check in if blessed with a bit of extra energy! Take care.

Cullo

Hi all. In about 2 weeks I'll be leaving the states for Canterbury and head south east from there. I'm on the 4 or 5 year plan to Rome, God willing/Inshalla (especially since I'm 71), as I don't like to be away from home and family and have responsibilities that make longer times away more difficult. Anyway, this time, for reasons of health and horrid Northeast weather, I haven't trained much at all, so distance walked will be whatever works. I'm traveling alone, so no need to please anyone else. I did the Francès on the 2 year plan, and that worked out well. I don't expect to meet too many other pilgrims, but perhaps our paths will cross. Bonne route!
My wife and I walked the Camino Frances (2016) and the Via Podiensis (2018) off the back end of winter and enjoyed the solitude greatly. We'll step off from Great St Bernard's Pass for Rome on 25 Aug but in the company of a small group.

We hope your journey is all that you would want it to be Pong.

Susan Des

I'll be a few days ahead of you, also a solo traveler of the senior crowd from the states! Will hope to see you along the way!

EvelynT

I'll be a few days ahead of you, also a solo traveler of the senior crowd from the states! Will hope to see you along the way!
You are all inspirations. Two of us from NH will start from Canterbury Aug 1. 70 and 77. Also hope to see other "seniors" along the way.

Marix

Great to get this amazing enthusiasm from the grey foxes! Planning to do my first camino in June from Siena to Rome.

Pong

Best wishes to everyone on their journeys. I believe the time to walk is when you can - and I'm (so far) blessed that I can. Hey Evelyn, I'm from NH too!

Pilgrim b

Hi Don’t worry Pong listen to your body as you walk not too fast enjoy every moment of every day rest when you need to. My first Camino I was about your age, last year I walked from Lucca to Siena in my 77th year . This September I hope to walk to Rome on the Final Leg with my wife and two friends.
Don’t let your age deter your enthusiasm!

Last edited:
You are all inspirations. Two of us from NH will start from Canterbury Aug 1. 70 and 77. Also hope to see other "seniors" along the way.
I did Lausanne to Rome last Fall (2018) Sept-Nov, 72 and solo-what an amazing experience
Hoping to do France 2019.
I am from Vermont.
Best to all,
Gretel

Pong

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I think I was one of the slowest walkers on my past caminos. Only passed other folks if they were stopped for a break, otherwise they passed me. I surely will be starting slowly this year as my training program has been rather poor - on the job training is in order this year! Wishing you all well.
Claudette

It isn’t how fast you walk. Just enjoy.
I did Lausanne to Rome. I stayed over in towns that I enjoyed. Life is too short.
Some towns I stayed 2 or 3 nights

hue

the most important is to finish your journey healthy, safely and enjoyed every aspect of it. Go and have fun!!!

John M.

I walked from Canterbury to Reims over the last two years, after walking on Camino routes in Spain the previous 4 years to that. I’m 71 this year too.
One unexpected difference was how few places there were to sit down and rest, except on the ground of course.
I could go on with a few more observations if you are interested. PM me?

Pong

John M., I just PM you re: your observations. To everyone else, thanks again for your encouraging comments. I leave Monday from Boston!