Canterbury to Rome

Sandra

Hi
I’m tolling with a crazy idea walking from Canterbury to Rome commencing April 2020. I’ve done both 800kms camino’s .....France and Spain. Need to do long walks .... coming all the way from Australia

It's not a crazy idea. If you want some information there are plenty people here.

Or over here, Kazrobbo from Tasmania is in her final few days.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/cisa-pass-oblivion-bella-tuscany--i-do-love-to-be-beside-the-seaside-.62520/

Or have a look at this Facebook group where there are daily updates plus pics of the route.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/19899007360/

Timing though is everything as there are two choke points. The first is the snow over the GSB pass which doesn't officially open until this week/mid-June. The second is the heat in Italy if you are there in July/August.

You've the option of shorter stages such as starting in Aosta and just doing Italy. Or starting in Lucca which is very popular or just doing the final 100km from Montefiascone (but coming from Oz to do that ....).

Jennyreeve

Welcome Sandra. My husband and I are also doing the Via Francigena from next April....probably starting the last week of April 2020. We are starting from our home near Lewes, so will take us approx 3-4 days to reach Canterbury. You never know, we may cross paths at some point along the way.

Very excited

Hi
I’m tolling with a crazy idea walking from Canterbury to Rome commencing April 2020. I’ve done both 800kms camino’s .....France and Spain. Need to do long walks .... coming all the way from Australia
I started from Lausanne ended in Rome.
On The Francigena 3 mos but took my time.
The Francigena has a great app with tons of info, lodging etc.

mutley234

If you are crazy Sandra then I am too... I have been thinking about walking it next spring and now it is calling out to me to go... once it calls you there is no point fighting it :)

JabbaPapa

Timing though is everything as there are two choke points. The first is the snow over the GSB pass which doesn't officially open until this week/mid-June.
There is the alternative more southerly route (with its two variants) via Avignon and then either the Via Domitia or the Via Aurelia ...

Sandra

I started from Lausanne ended in Rome.
On The Francigena 3 mos but took my time.
The Francigena has a great app with tons of info, lodging etc.
I’m lucky that I’ll be able to take my time. I’m thinking around 10 weeks. Hopefully, this will allow time to throughly enjoy

Sandra

I’ll be walking in 2020......doing heaps of research , hoping I can complete the whole walk in 90 days
Have a fabulous time

I’ll be walking in 2020......doing heaps of research , hoping I can complete the whole walk in 90 days
Have a fabulous time
I’m off from Vermont to Geneva on Sept 11. My second trip, Lausanne to Rome. Not doing France, too expensive.
Will probably cross UK Lake District next year. Then probably get a wheel chair

Michellegriff

Mike and I are going to start in Canterbury end of April too - that’s the latest we can manage in terms of when we get the time. Excited! Will probably walk from London first. Also coming over from Australia. The Schengen visa time limit is a burden but am planning to talk to the German consulate about the 90 day extension that could be available. Maybe we will cross paths.

The Schengen visa time limit is a burden but am planning to talk to the German consulate about the 90 day extension that could be available.
UK is not currently in the Schengen scheme so the 90 days is only for mainland Europe (EU plus Switzerland). 90 days should be enough for those sections.

JabbaPapa

The Schengen visa time limit is a burden but am planning to talk to the German consulate about the 90 day extension that could be available.
It's still possible to apply for a full Visa rather than the simplified Schengen one, and given that your country of arrival into the Schengen area would be France, that would be the country to apply to.

Michellegriff

It is possible but certainly not guaranteed. Many do the stint within 90 days but I’d like the flexibility to take longer if I want diversions or get ill and also to spend time in Europe after the walk is done - in france and Germany w friends. I’ve got all the details for various alternatives for long stay visas and extensions and if they don’t pan out I guess we’ll roll with it.

It will be great if you can do it as many non-Europeans would like to linger longer to take in all Europe can offer. Keep us update on your plans.