Canterbury to Rome

AdrianoConnie

Hi Sandra, We are walking Canterbury to Rome form June 1 next year. We also are from Australia. We are aiming to do the walk in 80 days so we can have some rest time in Positano afterwards. Gotta stretch the visit when you can ;);)

AdrianoConnie

Hi Michelle
We are planning our full VF for 2021, but as Australians we are wondering if there is a way to extend the Schengen visa. We have worked out we could do the European section in 89 days, including rest days. We would prefer to be able to take a more leisurely approach, so we are seeking advice from others about how to extend the 90 day european visa in 180 days, but ending in Italy. How have you gone with this???
We are also aussies and tried to stretch our visa. I contacted both the French and Italian Embassy in Victoria for a bilateral waiver visa. I got a strong no from both. Good luck if you find a way to get this. And if you do, please share the love.

Aileen

Hi
I’m tolling with a crazy idea walking from Canterbury to Rome commencing April 2020. I’ve done both 800kms camino’s .....France and Spain. Need to do long walks .... coming all the way from Australia
Hi Sandra, I am also thinking of doing the walk around that time in 2021 and also live in Australia. Are you doing it solo? I have done a number of walks but nothing of that distance so am also trolling for as much information as I can get
Happy to share.
Cheers
Aileen (Ipswich, Qld)

Last edited:

Remotelee

Hi
I’m tolling with a crazy idea walking from Canterbury to Rome commencing April 2020. I’ve done both 800kms camino’s .....France and Spain. Need to do long walks .... coming all the way from Australia
I am with you on the crazy Idea! Hoping to start around the same time and make it the whole way. That 90 day restriction is a worry though ( Canadians have the same restrictions as you)

Aileen

I am with you on the crazy Idea! Hoping to start around the same time and make it the whole way. That 90 day restriction is a worry though ( Canadians have the same restrictions as you)
I know, I have just spent some time researching information on the Italian Consulate website in Australia and it doesn't sound an easy process. From what I gather you cannot make an application until 3 months before you enter a Schengen Area and you really want to have flights booked and everything planned by then.
Are there others out there who have done the walk in over 90 days and gotten round this Schengen problem.
Cheers
Aileen

Aileen

Hi Michelle
We are planning our full VF for 2021, but as Australians we are wondering if there is a way to extend the Schengen visa. We have worked out we could do the European section in 89 days, including rest days. We would prefer to be able to take a more leisurely approach, so we are seeking advice from others about how to extend the 90 day european visa in 180 days, but ending in Italy. How have you gone with this???
Hi Michelle,
I am also an Australian looking at doing the walk in 2021. I have sent an email to the Italian consulate in Brisbane but only received an automatic reply which didn't give any information. I have had a news feed informing me that there are to be changes to the Schengen visa in 2021 for some countries but don't know any details.
I to would like to do the walk in one go but the 90 day limit leaves no time for exploring and there are some long days.

JabbaPapa

I think this 90 days in any 180 day period thing is untenable politically in the long term -- not just because it seriously violates the foundational 19th Century International Treaties defining what a Passport is in the International Law (as does BTW the whole "you need more than 6 months remaining validity" gadget, which is in outright violation of that Law, given that even an expired Passport is a valid (emergency) travel document to one's own Nation-State for up to a year past expiry date, and as an ID document for IIRC five years past that expiry point), but more importantly because in two weeks' time, and even moreso from 1st January 2021 onward, one of the three major European Nation States will be outside the EU.

But also on the other hand, because these fairly harsh inter-Union travelling restrictions were IIRC imposed by the UK in the first place, and I would suspect that they may be eased by the EU in future. But nevertheless : there's Ireland, which is still outside Schengen.

When I was granted my US tourist visa back in the 1970s, it was a 5-year permanent visa, requiring only that I had my return ticket, good reason for the visit, and funds to cover my stay of whatever length, and full Passport validity for the period -- this is how Passports and Visas are intended to work. And, if during one's stay one found some technically illegal employment, one could apply to have the valid tourist visa turned into a work permit (with no guarantee of success).

And broadly speaking, this is more or less how things used to function in most European countries, 'til very recently.

It is very ironic that the long-term UK Visitor Visa allows for stays of up to 6 months.

Sorry for being political.

Aileen