Canterbury to Rome

Pookiebear02

Hi everyone I’m Billie from Jersey u.k. Saw a bunch of celebs do some of this route on t.v. But they started at the st Bernard’s pass.
Not sure when I’m doing it but wanted a few facts if any one knows?
How long is the whole journey from Canterbury to Rome estimated to take?
Is it the same as the Camino you can stay in pilgrim hostels around each area, do you have to book ahead?
Can you get a decent meal at a reasonable price or pilgrims meal.
Does any one have an estimated amount/ budget of how much to budget for, for food accommodation if your doing the whole thing from uk to Rome?
Thanks every one in anticipation and look forwards to hearing from you.
Billie

How long is the whole journey from Canterbury to Rome estimated to take?
The sign outside Canterbury Cathedral says 1800 km and most people do it in under 90 days. Are Jersey residents subject to the Schengen 90 day rule?

Is it the same as the Camino you can stay in pilgrim hostels around each area, do you have to book ahead?
Broadly similar but as hostels are fewer and further apart booking is advisable. Or use hotels. Not all stops (especially in France) will have a hostel.

Can you get a decent meal at a reasonable price or pilgrims meal.
Italy yes. France perhaps. Switzerland more difficult.

Does any one have an estimated amount/ budget of how much to budget for, for food accommodation if your doing the whole thing from uk to Rome?
Wouldn't be surprised if you spent €3000. Heard of someone spending €5000 but they started from Ireland. Lowest I've seen, mainly camping, was €1800.

William Marques

Staff member
All of Galloglaigh's answers are spot on.

As the VF gets more popular, it is still at 1990s numbers compares with the CF and that is just the Italian section, the route seems to get longer and some people have used the canal paths in parts of France instead of the 'official' route.

Switzerland is the only pricey part of the route but the scenery is great.

I have always been a believer in the motto “When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money.”

Pookiebear02

Hi every one thank you so much for the great and invaluable info I appreciated you taking the time to answer.
Happy hiking.
Billie

Chrisy

Hi Billie I have just walked Lausanne to Turin.I don’t feel you can compare this with the Camino .Not Many walkers not many hostels and I found it very expensive.We took our own pkt soup pkt porridge and tea bags .Everything is money money money .We did meet a few walkers that were doing organised walks with hotel dinner included.Only 3 times were we able to get a pilgrim meal. we ask for our bags to be taken to St Bernard’s pass so we could walk freely and they wanted 30swiss francs .We offered 20 and he said no .Next day half way up we get a call saying ok .Too late .All places are closed in the afternoon.This walk has been going Ten years and I would say will take another Ten to get know .Not even locals know about it .Canterbury to Dover is all fields so take food and water .Only one pub on the way and one shop .The boat cost £28 foot passenger Dover to Calais .We will do the french part next year .Only done St Bernard’s first as you have to do it July August because of the weather .

Pookiebear02

Hi Billie I have just walked Lausanne to Turin.I don’t feel you can compare this with the Camino .Not Many walkers not many hostels and I found it very expensive.We took our own pkt soup pkt porridge and tea bags .Everything is money money money .We did meet a few walkers that were doing organised walks with hotel dinner included.Only 3 times were we able to get a pilgrim meal. we ask for our bags to be taken to St Bernard’s pass so we could walk freely and they wanted 30swiss francs .We offered 20 and he said no .Next day half way up we get a call saying ok .Too late .All places are closed in the afternoon.This walk has been going Ten years and I would say will take another Ten to get know .Not even locals know about it .Canterbury to Dover is all fields so take food and water .Only one pub on the way and one shop .The boat cost £28 foot passenger Dover to Calais .We will do the french part next year .Only done St Bernard’s first as you have to do it July August because of the weather .
Hi Chrissy,
Thanks for your reply and up dated info.
Doesn’t sound very easy and surprised no one in swizerland have cottoned onto making money by providing pilgrims accommodation, food etc? How far was Canterbury to Dover? Can you walk it in a day?
Billie

Chrisy

Hi Chrissy,
Thanks for your reply and up dated info.
Doesn’t sound very easy and surprised no one in swizerland have cottoned onto making money by providing pilgrims accommodation, food etc? How far was Canterbury to Dover? Can you walk it in a day?
Billie
Hi it about 28k easy route through fields.Take food and drink .We done it in a day .I would say don’t hang about in Dover get boat across then rest .Cx

You might want to combine a rest day with a rail day. Then you can skip some of Switzerland and save. Most people appear to use the Schweizer Jugendherbergen (Youth Hostels) in Lausanne and Montreux. Used the Montreux one and found it very well run and clean. Was CHF 60 including breakfast and a free bus pass for the locale.

Chrisy

Hi I paid 60SF for Hotel de Marché in Lausanne massive room no breakfast free Metro ticket .Then stayed in Vevey two of us shared a room 90SF .They let us in early gave us tickets for Charlie Chaplin museum .Breakfast not included but we left at 5.30 am

I walked front Lausanne to Rome. There is a great mixture of accommodations and food. Vevey
Has a great stop (hostel)right on the shopping/parking area $40/night .
There is a lot to see, museums( one is for gourmet foods ) in Vevey, I stayed for 3 nights. It is a beautiful stop and great place to get your bearings before you head south. Lodging and hostels in Italy are about $15. I usually spent one night a week in hotels because of
Rare lodgings., $40.
I didn’t rush, if I likedva town I would stay for 2 or 3 days just to see the area. Don’t rush, it is a gorgeous adventure. It’s a life changer!!
Do use the via Francigena app.
Good luck and do have fun!!!!
I’m actually going to do the route again this Fall. Flying out Sept 11.
Gretel(VT-USA)