Celebrating my 70th birthday!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sulu, May 27, 2017.

1. sulu

sulu New Member

Hi, I'm planning to celebrate my birthday in style and walk from Reims to Aosta. I will start at the beginning of September and have booked a super hotel in Langres for the big night. Having done that I'm afraid I will be skipping a bit of Switzerland as it is soooo expensive bit I do really want to walk from Sembrancher to Aosta. If all goes well I will return to walk the next bit next year. Maybe I will be lucky and meet someone but usually I find myself completely alone. I'm enjoying the planning :)

2. sulu

sulu New Member

Nearly ready for the off :)
    I thought I had gone for overkill with guide books as I have both the Cicerone and the Light foot guides for a big part of the journey, fortunately I have plenty of time to plan and, with the help of googlemaps I have devised my own guide. I will carry the Cicerone with me, as it is lighter, I have taken bits of the lightfoot where it seems more appropriate to my needs and I have maps from Langres onwards. I don't camp but neither do I do hotels, unless I'm really desperate, I will be doing this as economically as possible.
    My plan is:
    Reims – Trépail
    Trépail – Châlons en Champagne
    Châlons en Champagne to either Vitry le François or Le Miex
    Brienne-le-Château
    Bar-sur-Aube
    Châteauvilllain
    St-Loup-sur-Aujon
    Langres
    Champlitte
    Gy
    Besancon
    Chapelle des Buis
    Vuillafans
    Pontarlier
    Yverdon
    I know that plans very seldom work out so what will be will be, and I don't do technology and will only post something if I come across a computer somewhere. I think the biggest problem will be the 2 long days, especially as they are both on a Sunday, I've taken note of where the various bus shelters are so I can sit down on a seat for a rest!!!

3. Blanca

Blanca New Member

I just came back from walking Lausanne to Aosta August 13. Will be flying out again to Milan to pick up from Aosta to Rome. I have both Lightfoot guide and Cicerone. Lightfoot guide was not useful to me as I have no GPS. But from Lausanne to Aosta is well marked and didn't even look at the guidebook to find our way. Met a Dutch pilgrim who has the new book Via Francigena and he said it is fantastic. I live in Canada and can't find book here and really hoping to find a copy when I go back to Aosta and a good map of Italy.

4. sulu

sulu New Member

True Switzerland is very well signed, France is another thing entirely there are also many alternative routes of different lengths e.g: in the Lightfoot guide the route from Reims to Chalons-en-Champagne is 59 kms, in Cicerone it is 51; from Chalons Cicerone uses the route through Le Meix, whereas Lightfoot also explains the route through Vitry, both are long and either could be the preferred route in different weather. All roads lead to Rome, I imagine that the routes in the Lightfoot guide are the ones that have been signed but I'm all for going the shortest possible. The maps in the Lightfoot are good so I have had great fun comparing and contrasting, I don't think GPS is necessary for using some of the information.

5. simonshum

simonshum New Member

Hi Blance, when do you plan to walk from Aosta to Rome, this year or 2018? We plan to walk from Lucca mid October this year or May 2018 as I have inflamed muscle problem at the moment? Hope to cross path sometimes!

6. Domigee

Domigee New Member

Hi Sulu,
    You may already be on your way...
    Enjoy!

7. sulu

sulu New Member

Thanks Domigee, I tried to answer you earlier but my mobile phone was reluctant:rolleyes:
    I'm back now, it was wonderful. I will post info once I get my head back in place.
    Sue

8. Pong

Pong New Member

Congratulations on your 70th and on the manner of your celebration. I have been thinking of doing a similar thing...celebrating my 70 years on part of the Francigena. You have encouraged me.

9. sulu

sulu New Member

Hi Pong and welcome!
    It was wonderful. It's a long route so there is plenty of choice for where and when to start but I found France to be an incredible experience; scenery, history and the most incredible people; friendly, helpful and supportive. There is more info in my blog if you haven't already read it: notdunroaminyet.blogspot.com
    I do aim to go back and walk Aosta to Rome and I'm sure it will be a great experience but I doubt that it will beat France.