Coronovirus

Valiant62

Hi,
We’re due to travel from Pavia to Aulla in March. I note Lodi, Codogno and Castiglione d’Adda which have been closed due to Coronovirus are near the Via route. Does anyone know how to keep up to date on permissions to walk that bit of the route and what the current situation in the relevant towns is?

JabbaPapa

There's a thread on the other forum -- https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/coronavirus-information-from-reliable-sources.66744/

I only have some generals, which do not constitute any kind of medical advice.

It's an animal 'flu similar in many respects to previous outbreaks.

However ...

The one it's most similar to is SARS -- but it is somewhat more virulent and significantly more contagious.

The other major difference is that the containment strategies by the various national authorities are a lot more aggressive.

As for travel advice, I'd suggest contacting your Foreign/Foreign Affairs Office/Ministry and perhaps the Italian Embassy.

There is at least a chance that you might end up in quarantine, which there was not much risk of in the SARS outbreak.

William Marques

Staff member
I would suggest contacting the local tourist office when you reach the region and using taxi, train etc to avoid any quarantined area.

JabbaPapa

Here's a map of the affected areas, as of 25th February (from Wikipedia) :

The worst affected area is between Milan and Piacenza.

It should be possible to DIY an alternative route avoiding that area by going Vercelli > Mortara > many small villages > Voghera > many more small villages keeping to the foothills > rejoin the Francigena somewhere towards Fidenza.

hmmmmmm you know, every time I look in detail at the Francigena route from Canterbury, I'm reminded how grateful I am that the natural Way to Rome from my place is the coastal Via Aurelia route ... :p

JabbaPapa

Here's a map showing areas of infection worldwide with a good degree of detail :

Last edited:

JabbaPapa

Several cases in France now between Creil, Compiègne and Senlis in the Oise département, north west of Paris -- the Belgian Way to Compostela via Paris goes straight through there, and it's not that far from the section of the Francigena leading into Laon.

Last edited:

JabbaPapa

The US on Friday warned against non-essential travel to Italy, a top destination for US tourists, over the growing corona virus epidemic. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention "recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Italy. There is limited access to adequate medical care in affected areas," it said in a statement. The State Department raised its travel advice a notch for Italy to "reconsider travel".