Credential

William Marques

Staff member
The Credential (or Pilgrim Passport or Pilgrim Record) is a certificate of proof of bona fide pilgrim status and may be required for access to the parish accommodation, refugios/monasteries. It is issued by pilgrim associations.

It is stamped at the beginning, and daily at churches, town halls, tourist offices etc along the way. When you reach Rome and present your credential you may be given a certificate - the Testimonium.

Credentials are made available only to walkers, cyclists, and pilgrims on horseback.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Would love to be able to sell them in the "Store" that I have... not sure who issues them?

William Marques

Staff member
There is as yet no central issuing authority. Various confraternities and associations issue their own credentials to members.

If you are starting in Canterbury they usually have a stock of the AEVF (Associazione Europea delle Vie Francigene) credential for free issue from the information centre at the cathedral information centre (I am pretty sure the Great St Bernard Hospice has them too).

It is not like the Camino Frances however you cannot be sure of picking up a credential at any albergue/hostel wherever you start.

Apicula

U can also get it in the cathedral in Reims and if u can't find any just stamp it in a notebook or something and just glue it in when u get a passport:)

Cheers!

kevinh

I tried to order on the above web site but got the message:

There are no carriers that deliver to the address you selected.

I'm in Australia so don't know why that would be...we do have a postal service!

Bradypus

You could download the images from the link on that page and print your own. I got one in Canterbury but needed more space for stamps so I made a larger version as well.

Me too!..the web site has quite a few items for sale; t shirts,guide books etc but when I tried to order, from their drop down of just about every country in the world, Australia was an 'error' with the message:
"There are no carriers that deliver to the address you selected"
bit disappointing..and no response to my email to them 3 days ago

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Me too!..the web site has quite a few items for sale; t shirts,guide books etc but when I tried to order, from their drop down of just about every country in the world, Australia was an 'error' with the message:
"There are no carriers that deliver to the address you selected"
bit disappointing..and no response to my email to them 3 days ago
Most likely they have not configured a shipping option for Australia. From my experience with my store, you need to set this up for each individual country...

Just out of interest I emailed the Italian organisation mentioned above by sloways. They put Australia on their shipping list but a credential and a bandana would have cost 19 euro to send. Apparently the bandana means they send the 2 items by courier. I deleted the banadana but postage was still very high at 16 euro. I then entered a UK address but postage was still 13 euro. Obviously I didn't go ahead but I do wonder how many customers they have had!

They got me. As an alternative, I half considered asking them to buy a seat for it on a plane but that turned out to be almost twice as expensive. I chalked up the cost as a donation to what I hope is a worthy cause. Don't burst my bubble. :p