Currently walking from Lucca to Rome

Patrick

I’ll be following your same route next May (Lucca—Rome), and you’ve really inspired me! I’ve enjoyed your daily pics and thoughts.

Any general observations? Warnings? Thoughts for non-Italian speaking pilgrims? Surprises? Differences from the Camino experience?

Many thanks!
Patrick

Hi, Patrick - Thank you for this valuable feedback and for your great questions. At the end of this trip, I will write two reflection posts — one from my perspective and one from Richard’s. Although we have been walking side-by-side the full way, it is amazing how different our points of view have sometimes been. I will use your questions to help guide me when I write these posts. Good luck with your upcoming walk. Enjoy every moment!

Gary Owens

I hope to walk this in September or May/June next year . I am always curious as to if there are many other people walking . Have you come across many other walkers ? Enjoy your walk.

I hope to walk this in September or May/June next year . I am always curious as to if there are many other people walking . Have you come across many other walkers ? Enjoy your walk.
HI, Gary - We walked from June 1 to June 24. We saw more pilgrims than we had expected, but we mostly saw them when we were in the pilgrim hostels. The numbers varied from day to day. We saw the most pilgrims at the Ostello Sigerico in Gambassi Terme (early June, approximately 21 pilgrims). Still, most trails we had to ourselves which was very peaceful.

Gary Owens

Thanks for taking the time to reply . I expected it to be quiet and have always heard from anyone who has walked it that they didnt meet many if any people along the way . I have really enjoyed your informative blog . Its a great help for planning my trip . Thank you :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply . I expected it to be quiet and have always heard from anyone who has walked it that they didnt meet many if any people along the way . I have really enjoyed your informative blog . Its a great help for planning my trip . Thank you :)
Thanks, Gary - I am so happy to hear that my posts were helpful. If there are any other questions that I can answer for you, please do not hesitate to ask!

Gary Owens

One other question..... I realize you walked in June but if you were advising other pilgrims , what would be the earliest date you would consider a good time weather wise to commence the Camino and also the latest to finish ? I would be hoping to start at St Bernard's pass . I realize you didnt start there and also were not walking in July or later .... but you may have an idea of a rough starting time . Thank you .

Hi Gary - We only walked from Lucca to Rome, and only from June 1 - 24. That being said, we were very, very happy with this choice. Other Vancouver bloggers walked this same route one month before us and were wet and cold much of the time. You can check out their blog here: https://therandoneurds.wordpress.com/?wref=bif

The Camino Ways provides some basic weather guidelines for the full Via Francigena here" https://caminoways.com/best-time-walk-via-francigena.
I hope that this is helpful!

I’ll be following your same route next May (Lucca—Rome), and you’ve really inspired me! I’ve enjoyed your daily pics and thoughts.

Any general observations? Warnings? Thoughts for non-Italian speaking pilgrims? Surprises? Differences from the Camino experience?

Many thanks!
Patrick
Hi, Patrick - Thank you for these questions. Richard and I combined are answers and put them together in this post. We hope that it is helpful. https://retirementreflections.com/2019/07/03/la-via-francigena-reflections-from-home/