Cycling the Via Francigena 2019: Tricky bits

Planning a May June 2019 start and have a GPS track for the whole route using National cycle routes. I can see that there are certain bits (GSBP) that need care or walking. Not overly fond of the tunnel sections.

Are there other sections that need close consideration.

Last edited:

William Marques

Staff member
Hated the avalanche tunnels before St Bernard Pass. Tram rails were something to keep an eye on in Lausanne. Otherwise I cannot remember any other problems.

Thanks for the update. I clocked the issue of the avalanche tunnels when checking on Street View so will walk that part. But appreciate the heads up on Lausanne as I came off when crossing some of the tracks in Bordeaux. Modern cities with integrated transport can sometimes be difficult to navigate.

Matthew King

The GSB pass often doesn't open until mid June due to snow, and you can't cycle through the GSB tunnel. I cycled Canterbury to Rome in June 2017, and made sure I timed it for the GSB pass to open. I fully agree that the avalanche tunnels make for challenging cycling. Make sure you have good rear lights!

OK now counting down the days. Not helpful I've had to see a Cardiologist today (great guy) but we do what we have to do.

I'll stick the pics up here for others but happy to share / investigate as I go along. Will be starting at Calais as I've done the other bit a few times.

https://dizzyanddirectionless.blogspot.com/

If you are not from the UK try our Fish and Chips in Dover..