France September 2017

Discussion in 'Via Francigena in France' started by sulu, Sep 27, 2017.

1. sulu

sulu New Member

Having just walked from Reims to Switzerland I will just write about my accommodation experiences. I didn't follow the 'official route' most of the time but stuck with the more historical, Sigeric route. It seems also to have been well provided with economical accommodation, frequently provided by volunteers. The historical route is signed as such in some areas, and less well in others.

France is more expensive than Spain but as it is almost impossible to find a village with a bar there are less temptations to spend money, it is imperative to carry food for a picnic.

I walked in September, this is not recommended as it is grape picking time and beds are at a premium.

Day 1 Reims - I planned to stay at the Maison Diocesaine de Saint Sixte but was persuaded by the volunteers in the cathedral that this is the expensive option and that I would be better off going to CIS, I paid €19.75 for a bed in a dormitory.

Day 2 Trépail – this village is no longer on the signed route, I stayed with Mme Jacqueminet, rue St Martin, donation

Day 3 – I intended to stay at the Youth Hostal in Châlons but there was a major exhibition on in town and everything was full so I walked on to Sogny and slept rough! There is a covered area next to the Mairie!!!!

Day 4 Le Meix-Tiercelin – I stayed with ESAT les Antes, they generally have a room free for one person but you must phone before. It is a home for adults with Psychiatric problems. €20 HB

The alternative to this is to walk shorter days as there is volunteer accommodation, with families, in Coole and Corbeil for a donation.

Day 5 Brienne-le-Château – a great gîte-pelerin behind the château. Key available from the Tourist Office, cost now €10 the house is fully equipped and there is a garden and clothes line.

Day 6 Bar-sur-Aube - there used to be pilgrim accommodation at the parish office but no longer, there are volunteers who will take you in for a donation, the Parish Office, 4bis rue St Pierre has the information.

Day 7 Châteauvillain – there is a flat provided by the municipality, the key is available from the Mairie. The kitchen has a microwave and an electric kettle. There is a box for donations.

Day 8 St Loup sur Aujon – the Benedictine sisters provide great accommodation, at the moment they are all English speaking, helpful as it is imperative to phone before. 0325844072

Day 9 Langres – I understand there is an Abri Pelerin but I stayed in a hotel.

Day 10 Champlitte - Auberge des Pelerins, the Tourist Office will phone and arrange. Fully equipped kitchen, €13

Day 11 Dampierre – Centre de Loisirs Croq'Loisirs a kind of enormous kindergarten, signed as you enter the town, fully equipped, €5 imperative to phone during the week if you plan to arrive at the weekend.

Day 12 Gy – Gite La Fontaine, best to phone before as the owner works elsewhere. Food provided to prepare yourself for HB, €28

Besancon – There is no longer any accommodation in convents in the city, I think that it's either a hotel, or walk on to Chapelle des Buis

Day13 Chapelle de Buis – a great auberge run by the Franciscans, really well equipped, donation

Day 14 Vuillefans - gîte-municipal at the camp site. Well equipped €15

Day 15 Pontarlier – Youth Hostal, not necessary to be a member if you have a 'credential' probably best to phone as it can be full. €23.20

Domigee likes this.
  2. Domigee

Domigee New Member

Very useful information, thank you, especially the bit about carrying food! I went very hungry on that route.
    I am very tempted to walk it again, actually (Never thought I'd ever say that!)

3. sulu

sulu New Member

It's funny how we forget the bad bits isn't it.:)

Domigee likes this.