General information on walking in Italy?

Betseylou

I haven't been able to find a thread with this information, or maybe I just haven't figure out how to search it properly.

What can I expect about how a day in Italy works?

What time can you arrive/leave at a refugio?

Is there a specific time you can get lunch in a restaurant? For example, only open from noon - two?

Are there any days where restaurants are closed, and you have to plan ahead for lunches or other meals?

Are shops closed for a siesta in the afternoon and grocery stores aren't open?

What time can you expect to eat dinner?

Any other questions like this that I haven't listed?

Thank you!

JabbaPapa

Is there a specific time you can get lunch in a restaurant? For example, only open from noon - two?
Between 12 and 3 fairly often, though that varies from one restaurant to another.

Are there any days where restaurants are closed, and you have to plan ahead for lunches or other meals?
Varies from one restaurant to another, but there's not a day when most will be closed -- although some of them cater mainly to people working, so they can close on weekends.

Not really for siesta no, but many of them are closed in the early afternoon as a late lunch break ...

I'd aim for about 8-ish -- though pizzerie have very different hours.

Have a read of some of the blogs. The one below is quite detailed on the variations there are by town and by day. For example, in large towns/cities like Siena you'll find something open but a few miles down the road, it will be difficult to find anything open.

http://kentontheviafrancigena.com/2015/07/09/into-the-wild-on-the-via-francigena/

You are best to work out your stages and check for specifics for different stages. I found accommodation rather than restaurants to be the limiting factor.

frida1

You should have the Via Francigena and Sloways app on your phone. They provide info in the routes and some for accommodation. Tourist offices can be helpful. We stayed mainly in bnbs, apartments or hotels I found on booking or in the apps. For those using pilgrim accommodation you need to call ahead, because they are often church oriented and staff needs to be on hand. When we used the hostel system, they called ahead to the next one for us.

For whatever reason, Italians don’t seem to respond to email, you need to phone.

WiFi is surprisingly lacking in some parts of Italy.

We had many walking days where there was no where to stop between destinations for food or drink, but we’re used to carrying food and water. Water fountains are pretty available. Dinner usually can’t be found before 7:30 or 8:00. However, food is delicious and about 6:00 bars begin to serve aperitivo, inexpensive snacks with drinks that can be good and filling.

We had no problem finding well stocked groceries and wonderful cafes in towns for breakfast. Breakfast in Italy is pastries and coffee. Period. Occasionally you'll get yogurt or fruit, but not often.

Italy is really beautiful and our walk took a few surprising twists to give time to enjoy the spectacular art and architecture in that we needed a few more short and rest days to do that. Have a wonderful camino!

Last edited:

Jennyreeve

I haven't been able to find a thread with this information, or maybe I just haven't figure out how to search it properly.

Have a read of some of the blogs. The one below is quite detailed on the variations there are by town and by day. For example, in large towns/cities like Siena you'll find something open but a few miles down the road, it will be difficult to find anything open.

http://kentontheviafrancigena.com/2015/07/09/into-the-wild-on-the-via-francigena/

You are best to work out your stages and check for specifics for different stages. I found accommodation rather than restaurants to be the limiting factor.
This blog is very good.lots of tips and detailed information

Thank you!

Betseylou

You should have the Via Francigena and Sloways app on your phone. They provide info in the routes and some for accommodation. Tourist offices can be helpful. We stayed mainly in bnbs, apartments or hotels I found on booking or in the apps. For those using pilgrim accommodation you need to call ahead, because they are often church oriented and staff needs to be on hand. When we used the hostel system, they called ahead to the next one for us.

For whatever reason, Italians don’t seem to respond to email, you need to phone.

WiFi is surprisingly lacking in some parts of Italy.

We had many walking days where there was no where to stop between destinations for food or drink, but we’re used to carrying food and water. Water fountains are pretty available. Dinner usually can’t be found before 7:30 or 8:00. However, food is delicious and about 6:00 bars begin to serve aperitivo, inexpensive snacks with drinks that can be good and filling.

We had no problem finding well stocked groceries and wonderful cafes in towns for breakfast. Breakfast in Italy is pastries and coffee. Period. Occasionally you'll get yogurt or fruit, but not often.

Italy is really beautiful and our walk took a few surprising twists to give time to enjoy the spectacular art and architecture in that we needed a few more short and rest days to do that. Have a wonderful camino!
Thank you so much! This is very helpful. It's probably a good idea to carry non perishable lunch items just in case.

Thank you!
Most towns and villages are about 8 or 10 miles apart.. They have cafe’s and most have outdoor markets, fresh fruits and cheeses.
There are monasteries well placed and near markets where you can get dinner goodies and small cafes for morning coffee.
You can decide on stops with your online francigena
Maps