General question on costs

StewWalker

Hello fellow pilgrims. I am in the early stages of planning my next camino and would very much like to walk part of the Via Francigna. Most likely I would start in Lucca and continue through to Rome.
My question are to others who have walked the way of St James either through France or Portugal. Do you have an idea of costs for accommodation and food on the Via Francigena compared to The Way? Are costs dramatically higher? I walked from Porto to Santiago last year at this time so I have a reasonable idea of current costs. I get the impression that there are fewer (none?) municipal alberges on the VF, so I imagine accommodation costs would be quite a bit higher. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Also, are food costs similar to Portugal? For instance are pilgrims meals available?
I would like to save most of the money required before I leave in the spring of 2020 so I need an approximate daily budget for a target. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Stew

Marix

Hello fellow pilgrims. I am in the early stages of planning my next camino and would very much like to walk part of the Via Francigna. Most likely I would start in Lucca and continue through to Rome.
My question are to others who have walked the way of St James either through France or Portugal. Do you have an idea of costs for accommodation and food on the Via Francigena compared to The Way? Are costs dramatically higher? I walked from Porto to Santiago last year at this time so I have a reasonable idea of current costs. I get the impression that there are fewer (none?) municipal alberges on the VF, so I imagine accommodation costs would be quite a bit higher. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Also, are food costs similar to Portugal? For instance are pilgrims meals available?
I would like to save most of the money required before I leave in the spring of 2020 so I need an approximate daily budget for a target. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Stew
Hi Stew, thank you for asking these questions. I plan to walk from Lucca to Rome in June this year on a very low budget. I have the list of accommodation on the route but would also like to know an average day budget for basic food and accommodation. Thanks to anyone's input on this talk. Marix

caminka

Stew
the costs are in general a bit more then in spain, probably something like portugal in private albergues. there's lots of donativos which expect about €10 and there's a fair amount of kitchens. meals outside (sometimes pilgrim menus) are €10-20 which usually doesn't include drinks(?).

also check the accommodation file in the resources (https://www.viafrancigena.me/resources/accommodation-list-for-the-italian-part-of-via-francigena.13/), it lists all pilgrim-specific and pilgrim-friendly beds with prices, and also sometimes prices of meals (when I could get them).