Great St. Bernard Pass to Rome

Hiawatha

Hello , I am a blow in from the Camino De Santiago forum , known in those circles as Charles Zammit . I am very happy to have the support of a dedicated VF forum , being able to talk with those that have been before is a real comfort .
I am blessed to have met fabulous walking partners in 2017 , I walked many hundreds of kilometres with them through Spain , then more through France along the Stevenson's Way [ GR70 ] Le Puy to Ales in 2018 , a Camino Family that has managed to stick together.
We were to walk the Le Puy this year but a last minute change of plan has allowed us to consider the VF , I'm all for it , what better way to spend time ,walking with an internationally diverse group of comrades through an incredibly beautiful country.
Timing may be an issue , a late April departure from Aosta after visiting St Bernard is planned , any thoughts on the weather would be welcome . I note that photos taken by William around this time in 2015 seemed free of snow and looked fit to walk or perhaps this was an aberrant year ?

JabbaPapa

Hey there -- thing about Alpine weather is, it's impossible to predict, even moreso than the Pyrenean.

Expect at least some rain and some sun though, but in what proportions is anyone's guess, sorry.

Timing may be an issue , a late April departure from Aosta after visiting St Bernard is planned
Even if the pass is not open, I understand there are buses over to Aosta using the Tunnel. The Tourist Office in Martigny will be able to advise about routes options at that time of year. Try info@martigny.com

Jotown

On 18th May 2016 I crossed the GSB - the road was still closed with Winter snows , although both the Swiss and Italians were actively clearing snow as I walked past...
I, and several others were able to walk across the snowy areas , without any special equipment ... although we were snowed in for a day at the hospice !
The monks will tell you whether it is safe to walk over ...

Hello , I am a blow in from the Camino De Santiago forum , known in those circles as Charles Zammit . I am very happy to have the support of a dedicated VF forum , being able to talk with those that have been before is a real comfort .
I am blessed to have met fabulous walking partners in 2017 , I walked many hundreds of kilometres with them through Spain , then more through France along the Stevenson's Way [ GR70 ] Le Puy to Ales in 2018 , a Camino Family that has managed to stick together.
We were to walk the Le Puy this year but a last minute change of plan has allowed us to consider the VF , I'm all for it , what better way to spend time ,walking with an internationally diverse group of comrades through an incredibly beautiful country.
Timing may be an issue , a late April departure from Aosta after visiting St Bernard is planned , any thoughts on the weather would be welcome . I note that photos taken by William around this time in 2015 seemed free of snow and looked fit to walk or perhaps this was an aberrant year ?
I don’t think you should have problems in late April. I was there in early Nov and had no problems