Hello everyone. I am a newbie

Jennyreeve

Hello all. I am new to the forum. So many interesting things to read here. I am planning the Via Francigena pilgrimage with my husband in March next year (2020).

We are trying to find a copy of Via Francigena part 1 by Alison Raju. It seems it no longer printed. Does anyone know where we can buy one. The USA have some, but extortionate prices.

frida1

Is there a reason you want this particular book? I didn’t find it useful. The Via Francigena app and slow and app were more useful. We also had the light foot and cicerone guides. Not needed. The apps are all you need.

Is there a reason you want this particular book? I didn’t find it useful. The Via Francigena app and slow and app were more useful. We also had the light foot and cicerone guides. Not needed. The apps are all you need.
I agree,

I agree. The app offers a map to follow, follows your route and shows errors also locates lodgings, restaurants etc. with current edits.
Have fun
Gretel

Jennyreeve

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. We have downloaded the app, it looks perfect and we will use it mostly. But, the book would really be a back up if our phone or tablet has no battery or breaks. So simply for reassurance.

Pong

I'm on the Via in France right now (Seraucourt le Grand). I disagree about only using the VF app. I have it, and find it very useful, but I also use the Lightfoot e-guide too. Lightfoot (or Gordon as I call him) has alternate routes that I often prefer to the VF app tracks. The VF app route follows the GR 145 in France for the most part and goes off into the hinterlands, often convoluted and far from direct. Gordon's alternates usually go through more villages and often make for shorter stages and that is my preference. Anyway, whether you prefer the GR "official" route or an alternate, having more than one resource multiplies your options. I also have Alison's e-guide but have only used it for background on the towns, never for directions. I like the VF app, Lightfoot guide combo. The paper Lightfoot is still available, but I don't know if it's as up to date as the e version. I don't find it useful for accommodations, but for the route, it's great IMO. Good luck.

Jennyreeve

I'm on the Via in France right now (Seraucourt le Grand). I disagree about only using the VF app. I have it, and find it very useful, but I also use the Lightfoot e-guide too. Lightfoot (or Gordon as I call him) has alternate routes that I often prefer to the VF app tracks. The VF app route follows the GR 145 in France for the most part and goes off into the hinterlands, often convoluted and far from direct. Gordon's alternates usually go through more villages and often make for shorter stages and that is my preference. Anyway, whether you prefer the GR "official" route or an alternate, having more than one resource multiplies your options. I also have Alison's e-guide but have only used it for background on the towns, never for directions. I like the VF app, Lightfoot guide combo. The paper Lightfoot is still available, but I don't know if it's as up to date as the e version. I don't find it useful for accommodations, but for the route, it's great IMO. Good luck.
Excellent, hope your trip goes well. I would be interested to hear how the san Bernard’s pass is when you get there, regarding snowfall.good luck for the rest of your journey.

Pong

Hi Jenny. I won't be able to help about the Col du SB for this year as I'm on the 4-5 year VF plan. I'm flying back to the states on May 11, so the pass will be for next year, God willing-Inshalla.