Hello From Canada - I will be walking the VF in May 2016

Todd Griffin

I will be walking the Via Francigena from Aosta to Rome in at the beginning of May. I have 40 days, so I will be making a couple of stops along the way. If anyone could let me know what the weather is like in Aosta in early May I would much appreciate it

Take care
Todd

Seán Mc

The site http://www.yr.no/ site is great for weather...
Put in the countrty/location and it gives the weather stats at that location in terms on temp & rainfall by month.
It also has a lookahead forcast facility.
I was checking it for the St Bernard Pass..as am thinking of doing the 'Via' and crossing in Sept...cold enough

NavyBlue

I have 40 days, so I will be making a couple of stops along the way.
Hello Todd,

40 days would be a bit faster than the "standard". My wife and I did it in 44 days from Aosta to Rome without rest days. The "official" site shows 42 stages. Some days are rather strenuous. I would also recommend to stop in Nus rather than in Chatillon in your first day.
But if you can manage in 40- walking days, that's great !:)

Bradypus

The number of days/stages you walk from Aosta to Rome will depend very much on your personal fitness, your preference for longer or shorter daily distances, and your choice of accommodation. Walking last summer I tried to use church or municipal ostellos where possible. That sometimes meant my stages were a little longer than I'd have wished or conversely an early end to the day. If your pockets are deep enough to use hotels and agroturismos more often then you will have more flexibility. I walked the section from Aosta to Rome in 35 days.

William Marques

Staff member
In the Aosta valley and elsewhere the number of days is also influenced by the route you take, the official "pretty" route may be less direct and take more time than a more direct route.

Todd Griffin

I have been able to extend my time in Italy to 55 days, that being said, I have decided to start my walk in Vercelli. I have walked Camino's in both Spain and Portugal but I have never been to Italy before. With the extra time I have given myself I will take one detour from the way, to Cinque Terre for a couple of days to meet some friends and then see what Rome is like in June at the end of my walk . That is my working plan but I always like to keep my plans flexible, the one thing I know for sure is that I land in Milan the beginning of May and fly out of Rome at the end of June. If anyone is walking the Via Francigena between May and June and see me along the way please feel free to say hello.

Buon Viaggio

Todd Griffin

Mike Fitzgerald

I have been able to extend my time in Italy to 55 days, that being said, I have decided to start my walk in Vercelli. I have walked Camino's in both Spain and Portugal but I have never been to Italy before. With the extra time I have given myself I will take one detour from the way, to Cinque Terre for a couple of days to meet some friends and then see what Rome is like in June at the end of my walk . That is my working plan but I always like to keep my plans flexible, the one thing I know for sure is that I land in Milan the beginning of May and fly out of Rome at the end of June. If anyone is walking the Via Francigena between May and June and see me along the way please feel free to say hello.

Buon Viaggio

Todd Griffin
Hi Todd
Good luck on your walk.I have walked the Camino France's and Del Norte and really looking forward to a different type of Camino from Lausanne to Rome.I start on the 1st September.Have a great trip

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Todd,
I will be starting about May 3 from Massa in the Cinqueterra area. Walking very slowly to Rome.
I return in June to volunteer hospitalera is Valpromaro, about 25km south of Massa.
Buen Camino.

Tosticj

Hi Todd,
I will be walking from Aosta to Rome starting in mid-May and finishing end of May. We are also aiming for a side visit to Cinque Terre if time allows. It's getting close now.

Todd Griffin

Hello Rosa and Tosticj
It looks like we will be around the same places at the same time so I hope we bump into each other at some point. If you don't see me on the way, I will most likely be sitting in front of a café eating pizza and drinking red wine, so feel free to join me. If I don't bump into either of you Buen Camino

Tosticj

Haha Todd if you're sitting enjoying the food and wine then I am positive that we will bump into each other:)