Hello from Colorado!!!

Grace3808

I will be starting April 16, 2018 as close to Gran San Bernardo as weather permits, hopefully having time to do the pass at the end of my trip. Any info on starting in Echevennoz mid April appreciated! !!!

Piero Frustascarpe

Staff member
Usually the Colle del Gran San Bernardo is opened to cars and reachable by bus from Aosta in June, while the tunnel underneath that connects Italy to Switzerland is open all the year.
Echevennoz is at about 1200 m of altitude, so there shouldn't be snow any more in April, but never say never.
The weather is very variable in Valle d'Aosta. And expect a good deal of rain in that period (let's cross the fingers!).
Beware the slippery stones in some parts of the trail from Aosta to Ivrea, when they are wet.
Buona passeggiata!

Piero Frustascarpe

Staff member
Coming from Colorado, the tracks of Via Francigena in Valle d'Aosta and the ones in the Appennini Mountains before and after Pontremoli will be a piece of cake for you. :D
And, at the opposite, you will be deeply caught by the sensual "wobbleness" of the hills (the Crete Senesi) around Siena, I'm sure!

Grace3808

Coming from Colorado, the tracks of Via Francigena in Valle d'Aosta and the ones in the Appennini Mountains before and after Pontremoli will be a piece of cake for you. :D
And, at the opposite, you will be deeply caught by the sensual "wobbleness" of the hills (the Crete Senesi) around Siena, I'm sure!
Lol.... yes we have many hills and mountains in Colorado and I much look forward to the beauty of those in Italy!!!! Thank you!