Hi from New Mexico, Francigena in spring 2019!

JillGat

Hi all,
I've walked the Camino Frances across Spain twice; once in the spring and once in the fall. Now looking at doing the last part of the Via Francigena to Rome; planning to walk about 45 days. I am just starting to research this... Here are some of my questions so far:

The guidebooks I've seen so far look to be at least five years old. Are there newer ones? Any recommended first person accounts (books)?
Looks like a lot of people walk in Aug. - Sept. Are there fewer spring pilgrims and why? What is the weather like in April - May like (from somewhere before Lucca to Rome)?
For those who have walked the CF in Spain and the VF in Italy, I would love to hear how you compare them in all kinds of ways!

Jill

Hi Jill,
I think the VF in Italy is very different to the CF: fewer people, fewer stops (ie longer distances), the terrain makes it much harder, too (I think, anyway). I walked both in July/August and it was much hotter in Italy. Think Via de la Plata but more mountainous :D
All this said, I am planning on walking it again this Summer , it is a beautiful route :cool:
There is a new guide book from Terre di Mezzo 'the via francigena', translated from the Italian. It isn't perfect - some phone numbers were wrong - and it does take you through (to my mind) unnecessary longer stretches.... But it did the job!
There are also free Apps. you can download. Have a look there: http://www.viefrancigene.org/en/piedi/

D

Last edited:
Hi all,
I've walked the Camino Frances across Spain twice; once in the spring and once in the fall. Now looking at doing the last part of the Via Francigena to Rome; planning to walk about 45 days. I am just starting to research this... Here are some of my questions so far:

The guidebooks I've seen so far look to be at least five years old. Are there newer ones? Any recommended first person accounts (books)?
Looks like a lot of people walk in Aug. - Sept. Are there fewer spring pilgrims and why? What is the weather like in April - May like (from somewhere before Lucca to Rome)?
For those who have walked the CF in Spain and the VF in Italy, I would love to hear how you compare them in all kinds of ways!

Jill
Ciao. . Did Frances SJPP to Finisterra and Portuguese from Lisbon in 2017. I'm about 1/2 to Roma on the Italian section on the Via Francigena. I'm back in the states in June home to Colorado around 6/18. Contact me then... I'd love to share any informationI have. Book is through the Via Francigena web page, they have an English version... not Brierley, but the most up to date.

Buongiorno!
I've walked Ronscevalles - Santiago twice, Porto - Santiago, Le Puy - St. Jean Pied de Port and 10 days of the European Peace Walk.
I've not walked the Via Francigena before - I leave in 17 days.
I'll be walking Fidenza - Rome.
I'm using the English version of Terre Di Mezzo edition of the Via Francigena (published 2017).
Recommend the facebook page - Via Francigena public group -- Monitored by Jonas Ewe.
From the FB page you can go to files and find a lot of blogs of peoples accounts along the way.
Sloways.eu website - lots of detaied information.
Macs Adventure trips information to help with some background information on the walk itself.
The hike through Italy appears to be more challenging than my previous walks because of the mountainous terrain, less infrastructure, and less pilgrims.
That said, I'm encouraged by what I read on FB with peoples daily accounts.
I'm someone who stays in B&B's and hotels along the way. I've booked 85% of my nights through Booking.com and the remainder through various resources available.
I'm taking what I read seriously in terms of having food and water with me at all times. There are a few days where water resources might not be readily available (will be looking out for cemeteries and farmers who might let me use their outside water faucets?).
As we all know, the pilgrimage begins the moment you say "yes"!
Have fun planning.