Hi from Seattle

SandyBrown

One of your members, Grayland, suggested I joined the group, so I did! I'm also from Seattle and as well as having walked several times on the Camino de Santiago have spent the last couple of years exploring Italy and writing about it. My blog is www.caminoist.org. I've had a blast over the last years while I:
  • Walked from Assisi to Rome on the Via di Francesco (2013)
  • Walked from Florence to Rome on the Via di Francesco and wrote a guidebook, The Way of St Francis (Cicerone Press 2015). I also studied Italian in Italy this year and lived 2 months in the lovely town of Perugia.
  • Led a group of Americans walking from Assisi to Rome again on the Via di Francesco (2016)
  • Walked from Piacenza to Rome on the Via Francigena (2016)
Later this year I'll lead another group of Americans from Assisi to Rome, and in summer 2017 I'll be offering accompanied walks both on the Via Francigena and Via di Francesco.

My bucket list includes many more walks in Italy, France and Spain. I'm glad to be part of this group. Thanks for welcoming me!

Sanford "Sandy" Brown
Seattle

William Marques

Staff member
Welcome Sandy. Currently this forum is still pretty quiet but if the success of Ivar's Camino forum is anything to go by things will get busier in time.

Gary Owens

Thanks Sandy for the list of publications on the VDF. I am hoping to walk by myself before September so am looking forward to doing a bit more research . I have walked Frances , Norte , Portuguese and from Lyon France . It seems there is a bit more groundwork to do with this walk ...it seems there are not as many markers ?

Bradypus

I walked the VF from Besancon to Rome last summer. I found the waymarking was generally very good. Not quite as ubiquitous as along the Camino Frances or Portugues but there were very few places where it was seriously lacking. Once you are in Italy the free downloadable maps from the viefrancigene.org website and the signposts are all you really need. I did use mobile phone mapping (Open Cycle Maps / Open Street Maps) linked to my phone's GPS a few times when I went off the official route for a while.

Gary Owens

Thanks Bradypus for the message . It was good to hear first hand that the waymarking was generally very good . Thanks also for the tip about the free downloadable maps from viefrancigene.org website . All tips are helpful . Hope you have more walks planned . G

Reg Spittle

One of your members, Grayland, suggested I joined the group, so I did! I'm also from Seattle and as well as having walked several times on the Camino de Santiago have spent the last couple of years exploring Italy and writing about it. My blog is www.caminoist.org. I've had a blast over the last years while I:
  • Walked from Assisi to Rome on the Via di Francesco (2013)
  • Walked from Florence to Rome on the Via di Francesco and wrote a guidebook, The Way of St Francis (Cicerone Press 2015). I also studied Italian in Italy this year and lived 2 months in the lovely town of Perugia.
  • Led a group of Americans walking from Assisi to Rome again on the Via di Francesco (2016)
  • Walked from Piacenza to Rome on the Via Francigena (2016)
Later this year I'll lead another group of Americans from Assisi to Rome, and in summer 2017 I'll be offering accompanied walks both on the Via Francigena and Via di Francesco.

My bucket list includes many more walks in Italy, France and Spain. I'm glad to be part of this group. Thanks for welcoming me!

Sanford "Sandy" Brown
Seattle
We just received your guidebook and it looks great! We are planning a spring 2018 trek along the Way of St. Francis..we are Camino de Santiago veterans and have done several other treks. We are excited about the next adventure and helping to honor the Way of St. Francis.