Is my equipment list any good?

Discussion in 'Equipment Questions' started by Erwin, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Erwin

Erwin New Member

Hello! So, I have gathered a list of necesarry equipment which would be ideal to bring with on the Camino.

I would like You to tell me what I got wrong and what should I add to the ideal packing list.

My Packing list is found here - http://www.walk-the-camino.com/camino-packing-list/

Your support would be much appreciated!

Regards,
    Erwin

2. NavyBlue

NavyBlue New Member

Hello,

A good starting point.

You might consider also : sunglasses - walking sticks - spare socks (socks dry slowly) - drying line and safety pins - spoon - credential.

A sleeping bag is useless in summer, bring a bag liner.

3. Stephanie from CA

Stephanie from CA New Member

I've been doing research on packing lists and am zeroing in on what to bring but what I don't see is a recommended size of pack. For your list (found at your provided link) and the few items NavyBlue suggests (and having a liner instead of a full sleeping bag), what size pack do you think is best? I have purchased a 44L and am concerned I will find it too bulky and cumbersome while in shops and restaurants when I walk this May/June.

4. NavyBlue

NavyBlue New Member

Hello,

I have often read from people raving about their 35 l or 28 l packs.

With my wife we have walked with 45 l packs and were happy with them. Some items are quite bulky, such as fleece jackets, plastic boxes for your picnic, bread... My priority is more comfort than size. A (rather) large pack has a correct backlength and transfers the loads to the hips. For a woman, 40 l might be enough (my wife had more slack space than I had). On ours, the pack volume can be adjusted to the content.

You will have your bag with you in restaurants rather seldom, as there are few between stages. Same for groceries, as you will probably go for errands after reaching your lodging. Some shopkeepers prefer that you let your bag outside, anyway. Globally, I found the Italians rather relaxed, more on the "Tranquillo ! Non si preoccupi !" mode than on the "Keep that stuff out my way!" one.

5. Stephanie from CA

That is so helpful! Thank you very much.

6. Stephanie from CA

I just returned from the Via and Erwin's packing list was great. Also, my sleeping bag liner was key - while I didn't need it for warmth as it was baking hot in Italy this May/June, I appreciated it as a barrier for mosquitos as most windows were wide open without screens or shutters. Also, my 44 backpack was great. While there was extra room most days, I appreciated the space for fruit and other food to have on hand when facilities were sparse.