Italian route March 2018 - Last minute decision!

Ed Kay

Hi all,

I'm currently walking the Camino Frances, due to arrive in Santiago in about a week. I have friends who live on the Via Francigena and - in order to finally visit them and Italy (and further delay life decisions!) - I am now considering going over to Italy and walking that route.

Which gives me about 10 days to plan what I'm doing!

Obviously this forum is going to be a good source of info and I need to fully check the FAQs and resources but I'd be interested in any advice/feedback from the community.

Am I crazy?! Is this possible? My main concern is for accommodation at this time of year. Will everything be open (as per the Camino Frances)? I did read something about a lot of pilgrims camping on this route, but would prefer not to have to carry a tent.

I was also looking at getting the official guidebook and credential from the Sloways shop online, but this will need to be posted somewhere - for example, to Ivar, for collection in Santiago, with additional cost. Does anyone know if I could purchase the English guide from Santiago, or Italy? Or can I download a kindle or eBook version?

Many thanks for any information or assistance you can provide!

Hi Ed.
Will you be starting the Via Francigena somewhere in Italy? Or do you plan to start in England or France?

I walked the route from England to Rome, Aug 1 - Oct 28, 2017. Did most of my camping in France and Switzerland. Italy has many pilgrim accommodations (many more than France and Switzerland) and they were open in October when I walked through. Since they were open in October, it is possible they will also be open in April (assuming you are starting somewhere in Italy in late March or early April.

It is a wonderful route.

Cheers,
Mark

Piero Frustascarpe

Staff member
In the Via Francigena official site you can find everything you need: routes, gpx tracks, list of accommodations, even an app to download to your smartphone with all the information above.
You can get your Credenziale directly in the places listed in this web page.
So, you strictly don't need a guidebook. :)
The via is mostly well signed and the situation is improving every year.
About lodging, from March on most of the albergues along the Via are open, even the less attended ones.
It's enough to call them a day in advance to warn of your arrival. And being off season, I guess that you should never have troubles in finding a place.
I will be on the Via, from Torino to Rome, starting my pilgrimage on March 20th, God Willing.:rolleyes:

Ed Kay

Thank you Mark and Piero for your responses. I am now in Santiago enjoying a rest after 30 days hiking across Spain. I am hoping the weather will be better in Italy than it has been here for the past week!

Mark - ideally I'd love to do the full route as you did but I am thinking of just doing the Italian portion. I've seen that the mountain pass from Switzerland may be impassable at this time of year so I'm thinking I will start from Aosta, hopefully in the next few days. I just need to book a flight/train from Santiago and I'll be off again.

Piero - thanks for the resources. I now have the app and accommodation lists and that seemed to be enough for me on the Camino Frances. There are hotels as well as albergues so I'm confident that there will be somewhere to sleep each night. Good luck with your Camino, starting next week!

Cliff

Hi Ed.
Will you be starting the Via Francigena somewhere in Italy? Or do you plan to start in England or France?

I walked the route from England to Rome, Aug 1 - Oct 28, 2017. Did most of my camping in France and Switzerland. Italy has many pilgrim accommodations (many more than France and Switzerland) and they were open in October when I walked through. Since they were open in October, it is possible they will also be open in April (assuming you are starting somewhere in Italy in late March or early April.

It is a wonderful route.

Cheers,
Mark
Holla Mark,
did you have a tent, stove etc when you walked ? Thinking of walking this Way, just wondering what I may need to carry. Thank You

If you have a very light tent, it is useful in France. I didn't carry cooking equipment though. In Italy a tent is really not needed, pilgrim accommodation is plentiful and approx. between 10 or 15 euros.
If I were to walk the Via again from Canterbury, I'd bring a tent for France, Switzerland (to keep costs down) but would send it back home when reaching Italy.
This said, many many people manage without a tent... It really is up to you :)