Looking for mountains

Kathymccue

My friend and I plan to walk 3 weeks beginning the 19th of May. We initially were thinkingof beginning in Lausanne, but that gets us to the St. Bernard on May 26, and we're worried that the snow might still be there and cause us trouble. If we would start on the other side of the pass, like in Aosta, will we still have mountin views? That way we'd likely finish in Pontremoli. Thoughts???

Galloglaigh

Most geologists classify a mountain as a landform that rises at least 1,000 feet (300 meters) or more above its surrounding area.
You'll have to be a bit more specific as to "mountain". Cisa Pass before Pontremoli is 1041m so more than a mountain.

I'd suggest you stick to your idea of starting in Lausanne and seeing if the GSB is passable - as opposed to open. If you contact the Hostel, they can advise on the weather on the day.

Edit: I see you have asked a different but related question here. TimR is worth listening to.

Edit 2: In looking at my own trip last year, I was in Martigny on 25th May. The roads were "clear" but not open as there was so much snow banked up at the sides that the advice was to take the bus through the tunnel. I took the tunnel as it is not worth the risk

Last edited:

Hiawatha

Sounds marvelous :) , you will see many mountains departing from Aosta and they will stay with you until Santhia .
Pontremoli was one of my favourite towns , small , quaint and with a refreshing absence of traffic and tourists .