Looking for partner(s) to walk from Canterbury to Roma

hue

I am hue interested in doing the Camino from Canterbury to Rome May2019 if able to plan with Camino partne(s). I have done several caminos and active. I live in California

sadaigh

I will be walking from Aosta to Rome in late May. What part of California are you from?
I live on the Central Coast and am walking with a friend I met on the Camino in 2017.

Gary Owens

Arriving in Europe 17 April to start walking. Have done many Caminos. I had been contemplating walking from Aosta but have been weighing up the small numbers of Pilgrims on this trail.
My other choice which I am leaning towards is to walk the Via de la Plata again. I did this 2 years ago in April and the weather and smaller number of Pilgrims was perfect.
I would however very much like to walk from Aosta.
I had friends who walked from St Bernards pass last year as a couple. They loved it but only met 1 person in the last week. For me .. meeting other pilgrims is a big part of my Camino.
I like the idea of doing something new and walking from Aosta in a couple of weeks and would love it if I knew there would be a few others walking.
I happily walk all day by myself but it is nice of an evening to have others to chat and share a meal with.
Happy planning and walking everyone.

hue

I am from South California, my initial plan to do the entire Camino from Canterbury

I enjoy walking. I agree it is good to talk with someone overa dinner.

JennyK

I agree with the happily walking alone during the day, but as you said, nice to have company in the evening. I won't be starting until late September this 2019. Good luck and happy travels.

Bernie Brunino

I am walking from Canterbury to Rome. I am arriving in Canterbury on May 14 - staying at Kipps - and starting the walk on May 15. On day one, my plan it to walk straight to Dover and catching the ferry the next morning. If this fits in to your plans, I am happy to walk together, even if its only for a short period.

Jotown

A little tip for you.... when you arrive at Dover purchase a 'day return' on the ferry... far cheaper than the 'single' price...
or, at least it was in 2014 !!

On day one, my plan it to walk straight to Dover and catching the ferry the next morning
You don't need to stop in Dover as the walk in a gentle one. You can finish the walk by mid-afternoon and then ferry over to France. Means you don't lose time waiting for the ferry in the morning. Dover is not exactly picture perfect and looks a lot better when viewing it from 21 miles away on the other side of the water.

hue

I am walking from Canterbury to Rome. I am arriving in Canterbury on May 14 - staying at Kipps - and starting the walk on May 15. On day one, my plan it to walk straight to Dover and catching the ferry the next morning. If this fits in to your plans, I am happy to walk together, even if its only for a short period.
I am interested because my plans initially to start a round the end of May and walk to Rome. I am from Southern California. I did the Portuguese Camino and the French since 2016.

Bernie Brunino

Jotown: Thank's for the heads up on the ferry crossing fees. I will definitely have a look when I'm there.

Galloglaigh: I am walking Canterbury to Dover on the first day - probably starting around 7:30am. Is your suggestion that I take the ferry when I get to Dover and spend the night in Calais.

thanks

Galloglaigh: I am walking Canterbury to Dover on the first day - probably starting around 7:30am. Is your suggestion that I take the ferry when I get to Dover and spend the night in Calais.
Yes. The UK section is over rolling hills and through farmland. About as arduous as climbing some steep steps. As Dover is a major transport hub ferries run frequently with the last one being about 23:20 in the evening. Takes about a couple of hours so you could be in Calais by 7:30 pm local time.

Check out the ferries at http://www.poferries.com/ or https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/

Means you can have a good start the next morning without worrying.

I'd join you but I'm away in May but will be back in time to overtake you later in the month. I'm going by bike.

Darrencc

I am hue interested in doing the Camino from Canterbury to Rome May2019 if able to plan with Camino partne(s). I have done several caminos and active. I live in California
I want to walk the 100K from Switzerland. How long would it take to walk Canterbury to Rome? And what costs would it be? I'm a little clueless of the details so apologies. I was looking at tours but they are very costly.

Darrencc

Hi Bernie,
Have you budgeted how much it will cost?

Bernie Brunino

Hi Darren: I am still working out the final touches on this. I did the Camino de Santiago two years ago and found the budgeting was considerably easier as al hostels were roughly the same price. On this trip, hostels are not as easy to find and the prices vary greatly. Switzerland is pricier that France and Italy and so, I am looking at camp sites along the way, wherever I can and then possibly Monasteries where I can find them. Camping is roughly 20E per night. Monasteries are primarily by donation and I've been told that 10E-15E per night is customary but I will see when I get there. I don't want to short change anyone. So, I've had a tough time coming up with a hard number. As a rough estimate, I will plan 20E per day for accommodation and another 30E per day for food. I'm almost sure it will be higher than this but this just gives me something to start with.