Lucca to Rome April 2018

Jenny Hansen

Hi, we are planning to walk from Lucca to Rome, think we will begin walking on 11 April 2018.

Jenny (Australian) and Dominique (French)

jujubery

Hi Jenny,
yes, my husband and I are planning our trip to start around April 6 and still have not nailed down where we are starting from. We will land in Milan on April 3rd or 4th and then catch a train or bus from that point to where we want to start. We only have 4 weeks , so I will have to map out the route and kilometers to plan it. I am waiting on the "official guide" of the Via francigena, and then will have a much better idea of our plans.
Wishing you all the best.
Have you done much research on this pilgrimage?
We are very excited to start
Judy

Jenny Hansen

Hi Judy.

We haven’t done lot of research - just a look at the vie francigene website and downloaded the SloWays app. We have less than three weeks available as we are first walking with some friends on the camino Del Norte just from Irun to Bilbao. At this stage we will fly from Bilbao to Milan on 8th but take train directly to Florence for a quick stopover and then train to lucca on the 10th and walk on the 11th. We need to fly out of Rome by the 30th.

We like to walk 25-30 kms a day and usually play it by ear a day or so ahead depending on accommodation options - I’ve downloaded the listings from the website.

So that’s where we’re at. Plus I’ve written up a page of Italian words and phrases were going to need. Do you speak Italian? If not I can send you my small list if you like.

With best wishes
Jenny

Jenny Hansen

PS. I also bought an English version guide ebook. Have downloaded but not had a good look yet. I just looked on resources section of this forum and it’s the same book as shown there.

jujubery

Hi Jenny,
No, I don't know Italian, but I am studying daily on Duo Lingo. I hope to get by with what I have learned. What list of accommodations did you download? From the Via Francigena website? I am getting very excited. I love new adventures.
Face Book has quite a few posts and I am trying to gather ideas for accommodations from reading their posts.
Mark Woods , on this forum has been a big help as he just completed the VF last year.
wishing you well
Judy

Jenny Hansen

HI Judy
On the Vie Francegine website, under The Path - there is a sub page called Where to Sleep - and there you will find 2 further sub pages on accommodation. If you click on the second from left, you'll see further sub pages for various sections. There are PDF files you can download and the lists are categorised into the types of accommodation, with addresses and telephone numbers.
Bye for now
Jenny

Jenny Hansen

Ok no worries. I'm attaching the 2 pages of Italian words and phrases. There were some on Via Francegina site and I added more. That's all we will take in hard copy. I just print it double sided and put in a plastic A4 sheet and carry with me. I tried to upload in Word in case you want to add or change, but this site rejected Word doc, so it's in PDF
J. x

Attachments

jujubery

Jenny,
got it ! thank you. It will be very helpful on the walk, I am sure. Especially the accommodation requests.
We have been doing a great deal of waking in preparation, even with frigid temperatures and freezing wind chill. Breaking in my hiking shoes and building up my stamina.
Talk soon,
Judy

DavidJ

Ok no worries. I'm attaching the 2 pages of Italian words and phrases. There were some on Via Francegina site and I added more. That's all we will take in hard copy. I just print it double sided and put in a plastic A4 sheet and carry with me. I tried to upload in Word in case you want to add or change, but this site rejected Word doc, so it's in PDF
J. x
Hi Jenny - Thank you for uploading this useful set of phrases - I am walking from Canterbury to Rome starting in May and with very little Italian this will be a great help
David