Lucca to Rome without booking beds

Arjie

Is it foolish to attempt to walk from Lucca to Rome without any accomodation booked, when on a very tight budget? I'm planning to leave next month (May)
I've read comments of folks that have done the walk without booking, and have found pilgrim accommodation, without too much hassle.
Any advice appreciated.

caminka

this is the most popular section of the vf. I imagine that pilgrim accommodation is (slowly) being accustomed to have pilgrims walk in and ask for a bed, but the capacities are not so big. with some planning you can sleep in the donativos but they are very popular so reserving in advance is a wise option. check the accommodation list in the resources section.
if you have an eu sim card with appropriate package, mobile phones should not cost you anything. or you could ask a fellow pilgrim make a reservation for you (too when he/she is calling ahead). or you can ask in the tourist office the day before to make a reservation for you.

Pilar

I am walking the VF now. There was a definite increase of walkers at Lucca. We have found that booking 2-3 days in advance has been necessary. Many have been full the day before. Beautiful walk.

caminka

I am walking the VF now. There was a definite increase of walkers at Lucca. We have found that booking 2-3 days in advance has been necessary. Many have been full the day before. Beautiful walk.
that in a way is not a very encouraging thought. I do not wish to experience the cf bed rush. are you staying in pilgrim ostellos only?

Pilar

I have done a variety. There are not always pilgrim hostels available at the stages I walk (25-35 km). Some are closed and that is not always known ahead. There is always someplace to stay but it may be more expensive. There are large groups as well. Suppose not reserving is possible. I just prefer to know I have a place to stop.

caminka

I have done a variety. There are not always pilgrim hostels available at the stages I walk (25-35 km). Some are closed and that is not always known ahead. There is always someplace to stay but it may be more expensive. There are large groups as well. Suppose not reserving is possible. I just prefer to know I have a place to stop.
I'm going to hope it's just the labour day holidays rush. fingers crossed.

Zwonkie

I just finished the walk from Siena to Rome (start May). I mainly stayed in B&B/Hotels which were pre-booked..
However, i meet other pilgrims walking via francigena that always stayed in hostels/pilgrims-places and had little to no-issues getting a room (sometimes shared rooms/halls). I even tried to join them one day and had no issues getting a room (30€).
I think they paid somewhere between 15-30€ per night.

Again, I had my hotels (50-70€ per night) - so this is just what I could understand from other pilgrims.