Money cards

Ros Knight

For the Australians on the VF can anyone tell us which money card they are using and what the fees might be on each withdrawal?

Hiawatha

I use a Commonwealth Travel Money card Ros . Over the last few years it has worked in numerous bank teller machines in Italy ,France and Spain without a hitch . Most machine charge around three Euro per transaction so I try to withdraw the maximum allowable and use that cash over the following days . You are issued with two in case one is lost or stolen , you also have the capacity to lock and unlock each card on line as well, so if one does go missing there is no need for panic calls to an after hours bank security number .
A few annoyances , especially at the moment , the exchange rate is horrifying with the Australian dollar only buying sixty Euro cents and even less through the bank . Otherwise for convenience and security it is hard to find an alternative .

David Bezear

Hi Ros,

We have been trekking around the world since Nov 17. I have used the Qantas Money Card the whole way as it allows me to transfer the balance into the currency of the country I'm in at the time. The only limitation on the VF is the card does not hold Swiss Franks (CHF) but the small time that you are in Switzerland you could withdraw enough Euro and exchange it before or during your time in Switzerland. The biggest advantage with this card is you accumulate QANTAS Frequent Flyer points on all overseas transactions.

AdrianoConnie

Hi Ros,
We use a multi currency cash passport card. We put money onto it over time in Australia and the currency value on the day we load the card does not change. We use it like a normal savings withdrawal card at ATMs. The card says MasterCard on it but we do not get charged for using it overseas. The very best thing is it is separate from your bank accounts. The only money on it is what you put on it. That way if we are scammed or loose it, that is all we loose. You can transfer money onto it via internet and we get two cards. It has been great for us and we have used it for many years now. It also takes different currencies at the same time. Basically we love it. Enjoy your VF. We do ours next year and counting. Adriano and Connie