Montefiascone to Rome - shorter walks.

LoobyLou

Hi - we are making plans to walk the end section of the Via Francigena.
We are introducing some novice walker friends to the delights of 'Pilgrim Walking'; walking into Rome and The Vatican City has already got them excited. We do not want to put them off but rather inspire them so that we can look to walking greater distances over a longer period of time in the near future. We will also be sight seeing, and want some time to 'stop and stare'. We hope to travel in April/May 2020.
I wondered if anyone had any advice on reducing the daily distance walks as found in the Terre Di Mezzo guide book, enabling us to walk with time to sight see, find accommodation and watering holes, over an eight to ten day walking period.
My husband and I have walked the Camino Frances in sections and are used to planning for this, but we are less familiar with the Via Francigena and it always helps to get an insight from more experienced pilgrim walkers.
Looking forward to any responses. :)

LoobyLou

Hi there - thank you for this.
I had been looking at maybe starting at Bolsena, with the potential of detouring to Civita di Bagnoregio, which looks amazing.
If it was just my husband and I walking, we would be happily following suggested route as per the guides, but we are apprehensive as I said about the friends that are joining us for their first experience of pilgrim walking, and managing their expectations and capabilities.
The static uploads you have added are fab thank you. How do I access these?
Being a 'newbie' to the group and the Via Francigena, I am still learning :)

frida1

I second the idea of going through or starting at Bolsena. It's a beautiful place. Montefascione is also lovely, with great views and cobbled walks. For us, Viterbo was a definite highlight, It's core is one of the largest medieval cores in Europe and surrounding is a green, modern and artsy park area. Capranica is a traditional village; not necessarily a place to stay, but definitely a beauty to go through, maybe have a meal stop. I really liked Sutri. It is quiet, some good restaurants, and has Etruscan ruins, a Mithraic cave temple and ruins of an amphitheater.

Once you reach La Storta, you get into some really unpleasant walking. Unless you are set on walking every mile, I recommend taking the train part way in and then walking through the nature reserves above Rome and into the Vatican area.

LoobyLou

I second the idea of going through or starting at Bolsena. It's a beautiful place. Montefascione is also lovely, with great views and cobbled walks. For us, Viterbo was a definite highlight, It's core is one of the largest medieval cores in Europe and surrounding is a green, modern and artsy park area. Capranica is a traditional village; not necessarily a place to stay, but definitely a beauty to go through, maybe have a meal stop. I really liked Sutri. It is quiet, some good restaurants, and has Etruscan ruins, a Mithraic cave temple and ruins of an amphitheater.

Once you reach La Storta, you get into some really unpleasant walking. Unless you are set on walking every mile, I recommend taking the train part way in and then walking through the nature reserves above Rome and into the Vatican area.
Thank you for your reply.
We have decided that Bolsena will definitely be our starting point. We now need to work out the daily distances to walk to allow us to take in the beautiful and exciting places you describe. :)