New BBC programme "Celebrities" on the Via Francigena

William Marques

Staff member
The BBC has commissioned a second Pilgrimage by celebs programme after the surprising success of their first one on the Camino Frances.

http://www.ctvc.co.uk/work/tv/pilgrimage-the-road-to-rome
"Pilgrimage: The Road to Rome
After the critically acclaimed Pilgrimage: The Road to Santiago, eight well known personalities are back on the road, but this time they’re heading to Rome!
All with differing beliefs and faiths, actors Les Dennis and Lesley Joseph, professional dancer Brendan Cole, comedians Stephen K Amos and Katy Brand, Olympic champion Greg Rutherford, Irish Eurovision Song contest winner Dana and television presenter Mehreen Baig will live as modern day pilgrims.
Donning backpacks and walking boots, they’ll stay in basic hostels, sleep in shared dorms and follow a largely untrodden route as they set out on the ancient 2000 km Via Francigena. It will take them over the Alps and through the vineyards of Tuscany with the end goal of reaching Rome, the home of the Roman Catholic Church.
But how will they react when they receive an extraordinary invitation from the Pope and will this journey of a lifetime change the way they think about themselves and their beliefs?
Find out by watching episode 1 at 9pm April 5th on BBC Two"

An article on The Road to Rome by The Times: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc-sends-stars-on-vatican-pilgrimage

The BBC has commissioned a second Pilgrimage by celebs programme after the surprising success of their first one on the Camino Frances.

http://www.ctvc.co.uk/work/tv/pilgrimage-the-road-to-rome
"Pilgrimage: The Road to Rome
After the critically acclaimed Pilgrimage: The Road to Santiago, eight well known personalities are back on the road, but this time they’re heading to Rome!
All with differing beliefs and faiths, actors Les Dennis and Lesley Joseph, professional dancer Brendan Cole, comedians Stephen K Amos and Katy Brand, Olympic champion Greg Rutherford, Irish Eurovision Song contest winner Dana and television presenter Mehreen Baig will live as modern day pilgrims.
Donning backpacks and walking boots, they’ll stay in basic hostels, sleep in shared dorms and follow a largely untrodden route as they set out on the ancient 2000 km Via Francigena. It will take them over the Alps and through the vineyards of Tuscany with the end goal of reaching Rome, the home of the Roman Catholic Church.
But how will they react when they receive an extraordinary invitation from the Pope and will this journey of a lifetime change the way they think about themselves and their beliefs?
Find out by watching episode 1 at 9pm April 5th on BBC Two"

An article on The Road to Rome by The Times: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc-sends-stars-on-vatican-pilgrimage
How to watch in the US??
Gretel- Vermont

viv

Well.... I wasn't even allowed to skip the St Peter Basilica queue even though my leg hurt and I went there as a proper pilgrim, straight from the way. I was told in the office I should just ask guardians showing them testimony yet I was only shouted at in such an aggressive way that I couldn't help crying. Honestly, awful experience. But being a celebrity grants you pope "extraordinary invitation from the Pope". Nice.

Jotown

Ha ha viv !!

I had similar thoughts having walked for 3 months ... to find the Pope had gone on holiday !!

However , the experience of finishing my Pilgrimage , going through the special door of mercy , in the Holy Year of Mercy, and being able to pray at St Peters tomb ... was definitely worth it !!

Yes,
The Basilica experience is less than inviting
But we can’t let it tarnish the steps we took.
I wonder if the pope is aware of this experience/s????
Gretel

Piero Frustascarpe

Staff member
Yes,
The Basilica experience is less than inviting
But we can’t let it tarnish the steps we took.
I wonder if the pope is aware of this experience/s????
Gretel
Sadly the need of security and the anti-terrorism protocols have become more and more strict in the last 10-15 years.
I still remember when I was living in Rome and I used to freely go and sit down in San Pietro during my lunch breaks...

Pilgrim b

Well.... I wasn't even allowed to skip the St Peter Basilica queue even though my leg hurt and I went there as a proper pilgrim, straight from the way. I was told in the office I should just ask guardians showing them testimony yet I was only shouted at in such an aggressive way that I couldn't help crying. Honestly, awful experience. But being a celebrity grants you pope "extraordinary invitation from the Pope". Nice.
We are hoping in September to try your route Viv into the Basilica to receive our Testimoniums in the Sacristy, whatever our experience is in getting into there we shall remember, I hope, we are still pilgrims and not everything is easy.
I am so sad to hear that you had such an unkind experience did you get a Testimonium in the end from the Tourist Office just off St.Peter’s Square?