Next step toward my dream!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jenbar, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Jenbar

Jenbar New Member

hi posting this is my next step toward dream of walking via Francigena. I did part of route this year from lucca to Siena and loved it. Booked through a company but now want to be a free spirit and do it all myself. Turning 60 in 2019 so that seems like a date to aim for. Planning begins now. All tips welcome.

2. Jean-Claude A

Jean-Claude A New Member

Good for you Jenbar! I too am planning this for my big 6-0h! ... That happens in 2020 .... only waiting that long because April 2018 we (my husband and I) are walking the Via de la Plata ... So excited! Looking forward to reading your posts and planning ....

3. MarkWoods

MarkWoods New Member

Hi Jenbar. That is a wonderful goal and I'm excited for you.
    Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I walked the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome this year (August - October).

4. marco

marco New Member

Hi Jenbar,

Congrats! I’m planning the same leg in 2018. Can I ask what company you used and if you were pleased with them?

Thanks,

marco

5. Jenbar

Jenbar New Member

Yes I used Camino Ways who are based in Ireland. They also have a Francigena ways off shoot. they were good. A little costly but everything went well except a small Accom glitch which was sorted. Go well

6. Jenbar

Jenbar New Member

Thanks mark I appreciate your offer. What was you highlight! Low moment? What inspired you to do this walk? No hurry for a response but would love to hear back. Did you camp at all? Warmly jen

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2017
  7. Jenbar

Jenbar New Member

8. MarkWoods

MarkWoods New Member

Hi Jenbar.
    I had three goals for the pligrimage. First was to build a stronger relationship with God. Second was to explore new cultures, and third was to push my limits and comfort zone. I quit an office job that I enjoyed, rented out my house, and pretty much made a complete lifestyle change.
    The Via Francigena was incredible and I loved the whole thing.

Can't say there was a low light, but the first few weeks were tough as I was learning how to walk long distances day in and day out, the French culture, and finding water and food. I wanted to stay close to the trail which meant it was sometimes tricky to find water and sometimes food. I had a low budget.

I camped about 80% in France and Switzerland. But just 20% in Italy. When not camping in Italy, I stayed in pilgrim hostels.

Cheers.