Official path v/s variants

Domigee

I walked from Grand-Saint-Bernard to Rome in 2017, following the new guide from Terre di Mezzo. Fine but there are -imo - many unnecessary detours (up and down the mountains especially. Walking to Pontremoli comes to mind!).
I finally managed to find my own way, sometimes and I know some Italian pilgrims were not following the ‘new’ path...
I wonder if anyone has walked it recently following the Cicerone Guide, where Alison Raju mentions alternative routes. Are they still ‘walkable?’ (The guide dates back to 2014).
Would be grateful for your feed-back, I leave 8th July
D

Roving rufus

I can't comment on the Italian section but I did sometimes use Raju in France as it often was more direct as she was happy to plan a route on quiet roads while the official GR route tends to avoid road walking and at times avoids towns in favour of tracks and paths. Raju was often my starting point for creating my own route when I felt the official marked route did a long loop.

Domigee

Thank you for that! I actually used her guide for the French section.... I think it may work for Italy, too

Hiawatha

My second cousin is walking with us and has been using the Cicerone guide since Aosta. He has also been whinging for the entire way about the many inaccuracies, especially in distance calculations , that he has found.

Domigee

My second cousin is walking with us and has been using the Cicerone guide since Aosta. He has also been whinging for the entire way about the many inaccuracies, especially in distance calculations , that he has found.
Oh, that’s helpful, thank you!

frida1

We had Cicerone, Raju and the sloways app. There are many variants, and from what I read, the tougher and longer variants were chosen by a hiking organization. They keep you off the road and perhaps be more scenic. Raju figures distance walkers want the direct route. There are points in favor of both, but boy, do I remember that route to Pontremoli, and also the one to Sarzana sticks out.

Vigo

We had Cicerone, Raju and the sloways app. There are many variants, and from what I read, the tougher and longer variants were chosen by a hiking organization. They keep you off the road and perhaps be more scenic. Raju figures distance walkers want the direct route. There are points in favor of both, but boy, do I remember that route to Pontremoli, and also the one to Sarzana sticks out.
I am going to use Sloways app on my upcoming VF, how does it compare to the rest?

frida1

I found sloways by far the most useful. My husband insisted on carrying books, but I don’t think you need them. The books can be downloaded if you want but the app is free.

Domigee

Yes, you’ve summed it up perfectly. I’ll have to judge it by ear (and by memory ). I’ll probably take the Raju guide as well but the App. is by far my favourite as it helps me not getting lost

Domigee

I am going to use Sloways app on my upcoming VF, how does it compare to the rest?
The Sloways app is the best as it keeps you on track, you know straight away if you’ve gone the wrong way.
I’m planning this time on not following it to the letter, though, as there are times when the path they choose is unnecessarily long and arduous (imo).

caminka

I've just read through her guide (from 2013, I think) when some new rerouting has already been in place. my impression of her choices is flat tarmac, often along the main road, the worst terrain I can imagine for long walking. she is not even describing some of the new rerouting. yes, it is shorter, but at what cost? my legs don't stand tarmac very well, so I'll be following the new routes and some of my variants.