Outskirts of Vercelli.

Hiawatha

I walked from Santhia to Vercelli today, an interesting walk through very flat rice fields. Recent new work to the rice paddies within sight of Vercelli have removed almost all Francigena way marks at a critical point . The last one km , before you reach the highway is a maze of canals and paths and with Vercelli in sight at the end of a tired day you do not want to take a wrong turn . The trouble starts within the last 500m, a very large farm building is on your right the highway ahead and you can see a Carrefour supermarket to your left and a concrete water tower to the right . Go straight ahead here even though it looks like a dead end . Continue straight then veer right keeping the water tower to your right . In the near distance you will see large steel power poles , head to the nearest of them then turn right . You will soon be rewarded by a familiar red and white sticker on the next pole.
The paddies end at the road which takes great effort to cross safely . The centre of town is almost one half hour's walk from there.

caminka

I walked from Santhia to Vercelli today, an interesting walk through very flat rice fields. Recent new work to the rice paddies within sight of Vercelli have removed almost all Francigena way marks at a critical point . The last one km , before you reach the highway is a maze of canals and paths and with Vercelli in sight at the end of a tired day you do not want to take a wrong turn . The trouble starts within the last 500m, a very large farm building is on your right the highway ahead and you can see a Carrefour supermarket to your left and a concrete water tower to the right . Go straight ahead here even though it looks like a dead end . Continue straight then veer right keeping the water tower to your right . In the near distance you will see large steel power poles , head to the nearest of them then turn right . You will soon be rewarded by a familiar red and white sticker on the next pole.
The paddies end at the road which takes great effort to cross safely . The centre of town is almost one half hour's walk from there.
thank you very much for this heads-up, Hiawatha. this would really be an inconvenient spot to get lost. hopefully the mosquitos are still sleeping, at least.

Hiawatha

thank you very much for this heads-up, Hiawatha. this would really be an inconvenient spot to get lost. hopefully the mosquitos are still sleeping, at least.
Glad to assist and give back what I can Caminka . Not one mosquito yet ,though I do imagine that they could plague you in this area.
This stretch really is maddening , so close to Vercelli and within sight of the road yet frustrated at each turn . The natural inclination is to turn left at the large farm building I mentioned , it will eventually lead you to the road but at the expense of yet another kilometre and further yet if wanting to reach Vercelli Centro.

caminka

Glad to assist and give back what I can Caminka . Not one mosquito yet ,though I do imagine that they could plague you in this area.
This stretch really is maddening , so close to Vercelli and within sight of the road yet frustrated at each turn . The natural inclination is to turn left at the large farm building I mentioned , it will eventually lead you to the road but at the expense of yet another kilometre and further yet if wanting to reach Vercelli Centro.
looking at the VF web site map, perhaps the easiest way to remember would be to follow the canal on your right past the farm bridge to the next bridge and there turn left to reach the highway (carrefour left).

Jennyreeve

That is a really helpful post. Thank you.

Domigee

Thank you!