Pilgrims on Via Francigena are increasing...

Piero Frustascarpe

Staff member
The Tourism Department of Acquapendente (130 Km to Rome) released an interesting information about Via Francigena: on 2017 they counted more that 11.000 pilgrims who stayed in Acquapendente, on their way to Rome.
The overall figure of pilgrims on the whole Via in 2016 was about 40.000 (source Associazione Europea delle Vie Francigene).
Of course these are small numbers compared to the more than 300.000 pilgrims on the Spanish Caminos, but, thanks to the recent investments, the services along the Via are more and more improving and more pilgrims come...

Paul G

I recently read one place (but not any where else) that one should get 2 stamps per day on the stages between Acquapendente and Rome. Has anyone else heard this for the Via?

(I know on the Caminos de Santiago there is a requirement on getting 2 stamps per day for the last 100 km as evidence of actual walking, but is this true for the Via also?)

Piero Frustascarpe

Staff member
The rules are not changed since last year: one stamp a day is enough. Of course, if you want to add more of them, it's up to you.
100 Km on foot and 200 by bike to get your Testimonium.
I'm 100% sure of this information because I just double-checked it with one of the most popular Italian hospitaleros (his name is Ivo).

P.S. The 100 Km to Rome are counted from Montefiascone.