Places to get your Credential stamped on your journey through Italy

Is it just as easy to get passport ( Credential ) stamped in Italy in bars and Churches on the Via Francigena as it is in Spain on the SdC? Is there a list or map denoting definitive places where you will be sucessful in getting a stamp. I must confess I value the memories of those stamps on my passport equally as much as my Compostella, does this make me a philatelist i wonder?

Piero Frustascarpe

Staff member
You can get nice and artistic stamps in all the albergues.
In churches and other places of worship people are happy to put stamps on your Credenziale.
Also in city halls and museums.
Some cafés, pubs and restaurants on the Via can offer fancy stamps.
In the mountain huts too, along with the logbook sometime you can find a stamp.

P.S.
I'm a stamp collector too and I always bring with me in treks and hikes a small notebook to collect stamps.
Beside the satisfaction of having them, it's always a beautiful subject for conversation: "Would you like to see my collection of stamps?" :D:D:D

Libretto timbri.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for your response Piero, for your very useful information, so it is much the same as on the Frances you just have as many opportunities to garner your memories in ink ! Of course at the same time there is the peace of the spiritual journey and those memories we treasure in our hearts and minds too, and not just those on paper. This is the wonder of pilgrimage, how it can be so fulfillng on so many different levels.
Your note book does look rather interesting, did you use it rather than a passport, or both?

Hi,

By my experience, stamps are rather easy to collect in shops, parishes, hotels... Just be aware that a fair proportion will be commercial rather than fancy camino-style ones and/or larger than a case on your credential.

Hi Thanks for that Navy Blue so it pays us to be a little more cautious and the Churches I would guess are a pretty safe Sello to get any Idea of the word the Italian's use is it francobollo ? Or is it another facinating word?

"francobollo" means post stamp.

The italian equivalent of sello should be "timbro", if I remember well.

Close to the french "timbre" which means... post stamp, but never mind! :confused:

In Churches in my past Spanish experience they are usually just inside the door, but in the Town halls you can spend a lot of time finding the right person and place to get the "timbro" what about information offices. I would think they may well have a "timbro" will they ?

Last edited:
Sure.

Inside may be beyond the entry booth... I remember a cathedral. Was it Sienna ? "Do you practice rebates, or free entry, for pilgrims?" "No, but you can have a timbro" :rolleyes: Entrance was free in Lucca, I think.

We've walked from Aosta to Nus just a bit over a week ago, and getting stamps turned out to be rather tricky. Aosta Cathedral (marvellously beautiful on the outside!) happened to be closed - it's only open for several hours in the morning and in the evening, so we got our stamps at the tourist information point - the ladies there were more than happy to stamp our credentials :)

At Nus, there are at least two places where you can stamp your credential: the church and Hotel Florian. The church is closed most of the time (looks like it only opens for Sunday mass), and Hotel Florian will stamp your credential only if you're staying or dining there. We had to leave without a stamp, but, since next time we'll have to go back to Nus to resume walking, we're placing our hopes on the town hall - at 6 p.m., when we reached the town, it was already closed.

William Marques

Staff member
I agree that in many places along the route churches may be shut when you are walking past them and a more relaxed approach to the collection of stamps may be necessary. Having said that we found no problem collecting them from churches and cathedrals in the larger towns and cities on the route.

This was one of my concerns on pilgrimge, I love to spend a few moments in a church and i wondered how many might be locked ! The very few in Spain that were locked always left me rather dissapointed. My thoughts are along the lines of walking into a beautiful Church taking those thoughtful moments then on the way out a stamp, it reminds me later where i got it from and the beauty of those moments. Maybe i'm just an old softy though and there's other places where real people say hello ask you where you have walked from that's just as important a memory too.
Isn't it ?

Piero Frustascarpe

Staff member
This was one of my concerns on pilgrimge, I love to spend a few moments in a church and i wondered how many might be locked !
The main reason is connected to the high risk of thefts: in most of the churches (I would say ALL!) there are precious or antique things inside and unfortunately in Italy we are having hard times with burglars. :(
So churches and chapels are open mostly in early morning in towns and not small villages, when there could be someone inside (priests and/or worshipers).
On Sunday mornings there is the celebration of the mass, so you have more chances.
In any case, there is always someone living nearby who has the keys of the churches. Just ask around and most of the times people will be more than happy to open them and give you a galore of information, tradition and history.

P.S. I'm surprised you got lost in Santhà. The pilgrim hostel is right in the main square! :)

P.S. I'm surprised you got lost in Santhà. The pilgrim hostel is right in the main square! :)
Hi thank you for your information I shall bear your suggestions in mind.
By the way I think you are confusing me with someone else this year will be my first walking on the Via . b