Questions from Acquapendente to Rome (8 day walk)

Discussion in 'Via Francigena in Italy' started by coldweather, Dec 12, 2015.

1. coldweather

coldweather New Member

I just learned of this Camino 3 days ago as I had dinner with a couple I know that just completed the Camino Frances. The husband mentioned the VF and here I go… I almost have my flight booked for April 2016 and I have contacted a few accommodations.

I am a veteran of the Camino Frances 2013. I just ordered my Lightfoot guide and the Cicerone guide but I have not received them yet. I have some questions I hope this forum can lead to answers.

1. How is the safety for a woman walking alone from Acquapendente to Rome (8 day walk)? (This is my most important question.)

2. How much water/food is available along the way? Most all of the pictures show agricultural fields. Are their places to stop throughout the day?

3. How frequent are supermarkets in the typical stage ending towns? How easy to restock snacks/lunch every day.

4. Restaurants – How easy to find breakfast and dinner near accommodations?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. William Marques

William Marques Moderator Staff Member

For the section of the journey you are contemplating (except for question 1 which I cannot answer as we were a couple) I would say the answers are all positive. Although there are fields and countryside you are getting close to Rome so the towns are not far apart. There will be supermarkets in all the towns and plenty of cafes, pizzerias and trattorias to stop at.

The refugio network as on the Caminos does not exist properly yet on the VF so you may find it difficult to make a very early start and by the time you start walking the cafes will be open.

coldweather likes this.
  3. Bradypus

Bradypus Active Member

I walked this section in September and had no problems in finding enough food and water along the way. The Italian idea of breakfast is minimal - usually just coffee and a pastry. If you prefer something more substantial it would be a good idea to buy food the night before. Many cafes, even in small towns and villages, open very early in the morning but may have little or no food to offer at 7am.

As a man I'm not best placed to comment on safety for a woman walking alone. I saw and heard nothing to make me believe the route is any less safe than the Camino Frances in that respect. There are far fewer pilgrims walking but the number may rise next year with the Jubilee year.

coldweather likes this.
  4. Kathryn Daily

Kathryn Daily New Member

Coldweather,
    Did you complete your trip? I have the same question as you: 1. How is the safety for a woman walking alone from Acquapendente to Rome (8-day walk)? If you went, did you find this section safe for a woman walking alone? Any advice you can give would be appreciated. I plan to walk in September 2017.

5. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Member

Just another man addressing this issue, so take my comments with a grain of salt, but... My wife and I walked together from Vercelli. Those last eight days are not terribly different from the rest of the way in terms of safety, we think. You may be able to walk with other pilgrims as there will be more of them as you get closer to Rome but you will have to look for them if that's what you want to do. There are many long stretches through parks, woodlands and little travelled streets. At no point did we feel uncomfortable or worried about safety and we can't think of anything in hindsight that we saw that would have made my wife, if she were walking alone, to worry. This isn't the Camino de Santiago's French route though. Unless you try to walk with someone, you have a pretty good chance of not seeing more than a couple of walking pilgrims until you get to a hostel. You might be passed by a handful of biking pilgrims. There are also not nearly as many cafes / bars to stop in a typical day to wait for another pilgrim.

Hopefully a woman who walked the route alone will post online and give you a better perspective. Buon Cammino.

6. Kathryn Daily

Kathryn Daily New Member

Thank you so much for your message. I'm in graduate school and Duke and doing my thesis on Christian pilgrimages. I As part of my research I would like to walk part of the Via Francigena in the Fall 2017. So, I'm in the planning stages right now. Any additional advice or guidance would be helpful.

7. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Member

The more time you are able to walk, the more you will really understand the pilgrimage. I know everyone does not have time for long stages and I don't think any more or less of someone who walks much more or less but the more I walk in a single trip, the more I learn and understand. Mind you that some people do think there are minimal acceptable limits on being pilgrims but a "real pilgrim" would neither judge or feel judged, IMHO.

The most beautiful part of our walk was the three weeks from Fiorenzuola d'Arda to just before Viterbo. The last two days of that stretch are the first two days of yours. That said, approaching Rome is always going to be special and less lonely.

One other general note, my wife and I have now walked four different month-long pilgrimages. Before each of the last three, we repeatedly remind ourselves that the next walk will be completely different than the others we have done. Even if we were to repeat a specific route, we would say the same thing. Every Camino is different. While you learn some lessons from one to the next, never expect to have a similar experience.

8. Robin

Robin New Member

Hi Kathryn
    I live in Cary! My daughter and I will be starting VF from GSBP at the end of June. Could share our impressions in August if that isn't too late.

9. Kathryn Daily

Kathryn Daily New Member

Robin,
    Wow, this is great news! I would love to have your impressions. I am creating a survey and interview questions. I will have everything ready in August, and I will be back in touch. I am walking from Orvieto to Rome in September. Thank you so much!!!! Would you mind sending me your contact information to: Kathryn.Daily@duke.edu. I am starting a database of people who are willing to speak with me. Safe travels.