Rome to London 2018

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AussieJan, Dec 7, 2017.

1. AussieJan

AussieJan New Member

Hi there fellow pilgrims - I've firmed up my commitment to walking from Rome to London next year, probably beginning in Rome mid-May. I've decided on this direction as it might beat some of the summer heat in Italy and I really want to finish my walk at St Pauls in London. I'd love some advice about using gps apps, average costs along the way and things not to be missed. I've walked the CF, VdlP and Chemin Le Puy so do have some experience. I hope to begin by myself and meet people along the way. Thanks..... Janet

2. MarkWoods

MarkWoods New Member

Hi Janet. Glad for you. So exciting.

I walked from Canterbury to Rome solo this year (Aug - Oct). Average cost about $47 US per day. France/England was the cheapest at $36 and Switzerland the most expensive. That includes all expenses. I camped about half the time which helped keep cost down.

I used Google maps and native GPS, but no other apps. Glad too because the path is not well marked in France. The Lightfoot Guide (PDF version) was helpful too.

Met lots of pligrims in Italy, a few in Switzerland, but only two in all of France/England. There was one couple I met in Tuscana that had started in Rome and was walking to Aosta.

Can't say enough great things about the Via Francigena. It was an incredible spiritual, cultural and adventurous pilgrimage.

3. Jotown

Jotown New Member

Hi Janet
    I walked the VF from Ramsgate to Rome last year, I can’t recall meeting anyone walking the reverse direction...
    Anyway I recently prepared a list of my itinerary , including accommodations and costs, and also a list of ‘tips’ , for another pilgrim - if you want them send me a pm with your email address and I’ll send them to you ..

Joe