San Bernard’s Pass in early April - advice please

Jennyreeve

I am thinking of doing the walk from Canterbury to Rome from mid March next year. Is it ok to walk the San Bernad’s Pass around April time. If not, what would be the best route to use instead.

Jotown

I left Canterbury on the 6th April 2016, and walked over the GSB pass on the 20th May - the road was still closed due to snow, but was walkable ... they were just starting to clear the snow on both Swiss and Italian sides ...
So , if you’re leaving several weeks later ... I would say you’ve a good chance of walking Over the GSB pass !!

So , if you’re leaving several weeks later ... I would say you’ve a good chance of walking Over the GSB pass !!
Take local advice before you do. Have read on another site, you can rent snow equipment e.g. snow shoes, in case you may need it. It then comes back down to the rental shop on the PostBus.

Would never suggest mountain walking without good local information. It can be scary out there.

Jennyreeve

I left Canterbury on the 6th April 2016, and walked over the GSB pass on the 20th May - the road was still closed due to snow, but was walkable ... they were just starting to clear the snow on both Swiss and Italian sides ...
Thank you for that information. It is really interesting researching the walk. I cannot wait and wish I could set off now!