September 2-10, 2016 - Acquapendente to Rome

Aidas

Greetings to All!

I walked the Camino Ingles two years ago, and now I've decided to do Acquapendente to Rome. Yes, I'm a one-week walker (not enough vacation time to do more, as the rest of my yearly vacation gets spent with the family) :) While I was tempted to do the Camino Portugues (along the ocean), the declaration of a Holy Year pushed me to the Via Francigena. Can't resist a plenary indulgence :)

I've invited a number of friends and acquaintances to join me and have been met with great enthusiasm. Experience (from the planning of the Camino) dictates that notwithstanding the great enthusiasm, there will probably be 4-6 of us, max (though I've already got around 10 clamoring that they'll really really do it).

I see from the available dedicated google maps and booking.com that there isn't a huge offering of accommodation. I hate to admit it, but I'm not much of a fan of pilgrim refuges, as I absolutely hate to hear someone else snoring (yes, I'm a snorer too - that's another reason I don't want dorm rooms - I hate the idea of being "the snorer" that everyone remembers as being the reason for a restless night). This problem with accommodation is the problem that I'm struggling to find a solution to. Otherwise, I'm completely psyched that this is going to happen.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Best,

Aidas

Ning

Greetings to All!

I walked the Camino Ingles two years ago, and now I've decided to do Acquapendente to Rome. Yes, I'm a one-week walker (not enough vacation time to do more, as the rest of my yearly vacation gets spent with the family) :) While I was tempted to do the Camino Portugues (along the ocean), the declaration of a Holy Year pushed me to the Via Francigena. Can't resist a plenary indulgence :)

I've invited a number of friends and acquaintances to join me and have been met with great enthusiasm. Experience (from the planning of the Camino) dictates that notwithstanding the great enthusiasm, there will probably be 4-6 of us, max (though I've already got around 10 clamoring that they'll really really do it).

I see from the available dedicated google maps and booking.com that there isn't a huge offering of accommodation. I hate to admit it, but I'm not much of a fan of pilgrim refuges, as I absolutely hate to hear someone else snoring (yes, I'm a snorer too - that's another reason I don't want dorm rooms - I hate the idea of being "the snorer" that everyone remembers as being the reason for a restless night). This problem with accommodation is the problem that I'm struggling to find a solution to. Otherwise, I'm completely psyched that this is going to happen.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Best,

Aidas
We're walking the Via this summer/fall, too! From Lucca to Rome. We also did the Camino - Camino Frances - in 2015.

Like you, the alberges weren't for us - we worked with a terrific company out of Ireland, Camino Ways, that organized our accommodations and luggage transfers. They're organizing our trip on the Via Francigna as well.

Perhaps we'll see you and your merry band along the way. We just signed up with the Vatican for our time to pass through the doors of St Peters. John and Ning

Jotown

Hi Ning, and Happy planning !

I'm also interested in registering with the Vatican...
Did you have to stipulate the day/time you wished ?
or can it be open ended...??

I have looked at the Vatican site, although haven't yet registered
(and it's in Italian !)
I wouldn't anticipate being able to say when I would get there...
certainly not at the moment, as I haven't yet fixed when I shall start..

Thanks

Joe

Ning

Joe -- you do register for a date and time with the Vatican -- I suppose they have a plan for folks with a looser schedule, too. It's not too precise ... initially, they ask if you'd prefer the morning or afternoon of a particular date.

I think Rome is going to be busy...this is the first Holy Year since 2000. Exciting!

Here's the site in English:

http://www.im.va/content/gdm/en/partecipa/registrazione.html

I'm checking with my local parish about attending a Papal Mass there. I'll let you know what I find out.

Not sure what they say on the Via Francigena -- so for now, I'll say, "Buen Camino!". Ning

Jotown

Joe -- you do register for a date and time with the Vatican -- I suppose they have a plan for folks with a looser schedule, too. It's not too precise ... initially, they ask if you'd prefer the morning or afternoon of a particular date.

I think Rome is going to be busy...this is the first Holy Year since 2000. Exciting!

Here's the site in English:

http://www.im.va/content/gdm/en/partecipa/registrazione.html

I'm checking with my local parish about attending a Papal Mass there. I'll let you know what I find out.

Not sure what they say on the Via Francigena -- so for now, I'll say, "Buen Camino!". Ning
Ning
Thank you
- I had seen this site,
however when I went into the Registration page it reverts to Italian..
I know a few bits, so should manage ,
it was the requirements that concerned me ( ie specific date )
However I'll see what happens, when I do it !

As you say, a busy year for the Jubilee,
and exactly what draws me to it !

and, like you, I know not what they wish each other, I'll just say ' Ultreia...Ultreya ' !!

Aidas

Thanks for the hint Ning! Just finished registering for entering via the Great Doors. Registration worked fine and I did it all in English. Simple, to the point, and EDITABLE after you've registered.

Indeed, one has to put the exact date in, but I'm pretty sure that one can change it as the date comes closer.

So, we're in for September 10 in the afternoon.

Introibo

Hi Ning

There's the official way to get a ticket for a Papal Mass, and there's the less official way.

The official way requires you to fax the Vatican offices with your request. They will then
fax you back with a reply at some point in the following two weeks. Fine if you have access
to a fax machine. I don't

The less official way it to email the North American Pontifical College in Rome, pretend you're
an American and request a ticket. They will then email you back. Which is how I got my ticket
for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and the opening of the Holy Year. ( I did admit
in my application that I wasn't an American ! ) When I picked my ticket up the day before I was
given great advice on what to expect and when to get myself down there. They also have a beautiful
chapel in which you can spend some time as well. ( Yes mother, I did remember to write them an
email when I got back home to thank them for their kindness )

If you haven't booked a time slot for the Holy Door it's possible to ask for one on the day from the Pilgrims
office which is halfway down the Via della Conciliazione, on the let as you look at St. Peters. The thinking
behind a ticketed system is that it will control numbers in order to maintain an atmosphere of prayer and
serenity.

It was a fantastic experience. So much so that I'm now hoping / planning to walk from Assisi to Rome
in March / April this year.

Buen Camino