Skipping last two sections due to traffic safety?

SloPoke

I’ve heard twice now from Italian pilgrims to skip the last two sections, Campagnano di Roma to La Storta and La Storta to Rome, due to safety concerns. One of these concerns is the traffic, but I also heard through the pilgrim grapevine that crime can also be a concern.

What do folks here think about this?

Traffic here is bad everywhere you have to deal with it, but is it so bad it’s worth skipping the last two days?

I’m especially interested in hearing from those who have walked it.

Plenty of information including videos on this part of the VF on the Facebook site. This recent one for example

These sections are not as pleasant as the countryside. There is no reason to believe that they are any more worrisome than entering any other large city.

Also would you want to miss walking the section leading into Rome? You will be able to see St Peter's from afar and know it is the end of your pilgrimage?

And here is the video/pics of the last section for you to compare against your expectations.

If you are worried then take the train/buses which are available. Each of us make our own way, in our own time, in whatever method suits. You do not need any approval or advice from strangers on the internet. Just do what feels right for you at the time.

And enjoy. It should be an enlightening experience rather than a worrisome one.

Bradypus

I walked in 2015 and I believe there has since been some rerouting of the final stage from La Storta into central Rome which avoids the worst of the hazardous traffic I encountered then. There was nothing about the previous section from Campagnano to make me worried. In either case I could not imagine myself skipping these last two stages after walking every step of the way from Calais. The frustration would have been immense.

sharon w

We walked those sections. I thought they were safe as there were only a few places without a footpath. The rest was fine. I have to say, the main problem through the park on the last day, were the overgrown blackberry bushes!!

NavyBlue

I walked in 2015 and I believe there has since been some rerouting of the final stage from La Storta into central Rome which avoids the worst of the hazardous traffic I encountered then. There was nothing about the previous section from Campagnano to make me worried.
I second this : same year, same feelings.

The two of us walked from La Storta to Rome, using the sidewalks when available, or on the left side of the road. We carried a high-viz vest on one of our packs. Most of the traffic, in the early morning, was bound to Rome, more jammed than zipping... So we didn't feel being in clear and immediate danger. But IMO : to be avoided at night or in a rainy weather.

KaBar

I’ve heard twice now from Italian pilgrims to skip the last two sections, Campagnano di Roma to La Storta and La Storta to Rome, due to safety concerns. One of these concerns is the traffic, but I also heard through the pilgrim grapevine that crime can also be a concern.

Traffic here is bad everywhere you have to deal with it, but is it so bad it’s worth skipping the last two days?

We just finished walking this two weeks ago. Neither leg seemed especially dangerous, and the last leg into Rome takes you through parks or on sidewalks if you are using the Via Francigena route. We felt safe at all times as well. I agree with the writer who said it would be a shame to forego this last leg having done the rest. Buon Camino!

caminka

the only annoyance on the section to la strota were lots of thorny bushes on the archeological alternative into formello.

I think that apart from about 200m without a sidewalk there was always a sidewalk on the big road from la storta to the insurghiata park and in the roman suburbs. vf takes you across crossroads by official crossings and traffic lights. the insurghiata park is very thorny, too, but it is possible to follow a mowed meadow to one side for most of the thorny path. I felt safe all the time.

that said, a spanish peregrina I met several times over the last days into rome, has lost her passpord on the last day into rome (to the ostello in monte mario). she didn't say exactly where, but I got the impression that it was in the first suburb after the insurghiata park (the suburb is monte mario alto). she said that a suspicious guy has been trailing her and wanting something from her (possibly money) and while she was switching wallet and documents around her pockets, the passport fell out without her noticing. she sorted the documents out the next morning, I don't know if she reported the guy.

oh, and the mosquitos at the famous panorama of the st peter's in the monte mario park at dusk were really really annoying.

Last edited:

Mary

Hello - I skipped the last 2 etapas due to exactly what the Italian pilgrims warned you about. I spent time with Italain friends and then went off sola to walk from Lucca to Roma. They probably mentioned it 5 times not to walk the last section from La Storta. Your call if you want to.....

JabbaPapa

The only part of my own Way to Rome where there was any serious danger from traffic was along the Ligurian coast, west of Genova -- one tunnel in particular was rather hairy indeed, long, dark, very narrow, and no sidewalk at all -- but I cannot remember any trouble of that kind walking into Rome, even though no waymarking at all existed at the time to direct people onto the quieter path (though I had heard that it existed).

But well, perhaps others are not so used to walking on tarmac and beside trafic as I am ?

Keep to the left, if necessary hug the roadside in case of large oncoming lorries or coaches etc, and you'll be fine.

It really is just a few short kilometers of main road after La Storta, and far less of that main road than I had to walk along in 2000. I cannot remember that it was dangerous.

Some degree of walking along main roads is almost inevitable in these foot pilgrimages, despite some happy exceptions, and I think it's better to accept that rather than "mess up" your last day by bus. Walking into Santiago, Rome, or Lourdes, no matter how yucky the road can be sometimes, has always been a joy, and I'd never diminish that myself, unless it were for unavoidable medical reasons.