Spring 2020

Remotelee

Hi all, just starting to plan my walk. Hoping to do Canterbury to Rome starting late March early April 2020. A little worried about the timing as I am coming from Canada and only have 90 days inside the Schengen zone. Will be my 7th Camino experience (have walked all or part of these routes Frances /Portuguese/Norte/Celtic/ LePuy ).

Galloglaigh

The sign outside Canterbury Cathedral says "Rome 1800 km". So less than 20km/day as Schengen doesn't start until Calais.

Is it really that much of a problem?

Remotelee

That’s is still 88 days walking (1769 km from Calais) inside the schengan with no rest days. The lightfoot guide has it as 102 days of walking Canterbury to Rome that makes me a little leery on the timing.

Roving rufus

The Lightfoot guide has some uneven days and I certainly combined some days in France and split others differently to the guide. As I am planning another section - looking in Italy in the Lightfoot guide there are days listed as 14.2km, 16.2km and 11.6km in the flat Po valley section- so I am definitely not keeping to those! The question is how far can you comfortable walk? There are days when shorter distances are needed (eg in the mountains) but there are other sections of relatively gentle sloped ground that allow for easier walking and covering longer distances.

Galloglaigh

The question is how far can you comfortable walk?
Probably the key question. Canterbury to Dover can be done in a day for those of average fitness. Po valley is very easy but the other sections require more effort.

Have you considered doing it in two sections - Canterbury/Lausanne and Lausanne/Rome?

Remotelee

The Lightfoot guide has some uneven days and I certainly combined some days in France and split others differently to the guide. As I am planning another section - looking in Italy in the Lightfoot guide there are days listed as 14.2km, 16.2km and 11.6km in the flat Po valley section- so I am definitely not keeping to those! The question is how far can you comfortable walk? There are days when shorter distances are needed (eg in the mountains) but there are other sections of relatively gentle sloped ground that allow for easier walking and covering longer distances.
Thanks for the info, I don’t really know the terrain of the area and wasn’t sure if combining days would work.

Remotelee

Probably the key question. Canterbury to Dover can be done in a day for those of average fitness. Po valley is very easy but the other sections require more effort.

Have you considered doing it in two sections - Canterbury/Lausanne and Lausanne/Rome?
I did think of doing two sections but I like the idea of completing in one go. Plus this year I think might be the only one in the next few where I get that many days in a row off

Roving rufus

Thanks for the info, I don’t really know the terrain of the area and wasn’t sure if combining days would work.
Lightfoot guide normally gives an elevation chart for each day's route (watch the scales vary) - and a summary note about the stages walk that should give an indication of the difficult of a section - or the viefrancigene.org on the walking route notes for each stage gives a one word description of the difficulty (ie easy, difficult etc) - these should give you some ideas of were to double up stages or split them differently.
Also especially in France as the VF is marked as a GR route which has specific rules, the marked route sometimes does some interesting loops - and it is worth looking out for some shortcuts. Also a easy save a day is not to walk along the coast from Calais to Wissant (the reason for this walk is that the port changed centuries ago as Wissant silted up and ships couldn't get into port) but rather walk along canals to Guines and join the marked VF there. Or again in Switzerland take the option to take a boat across the lake from Lausanne rather than walk around (pilgrims of the past often used boats when facing rivers and lakes) which could cut another day. And also crossing into Switzerland from France - there are options of route - chose wisely as to what might be the best choice for you

kstonewalls

Hi Remotelee, If you start in March/April, will you be able to cross the SB pass easily?
We are walking the whole VF in 2021 and have so far planned out 75 walking days and 13 rest days in Europe (ie from Calais) which should be do-able and gets us out of Rome on day 89!

We have been planning to leave Canterbury mid July which although it might be hot in Northern France, we are thinking that we should be able to get over the SB pass in late August, down through the rice fields in Mid September (hopefully avoiding the worst of the mosquitoes at that time) , and then down through to Rome in mid October ( thereby avoiding Italy in the height of Summer)

No-one else seems to be planning that timing, so I am wondering if our assumptions that our plans are based on, are completely incorrect???? Does anyone have any thoughts about this??

Remotelee

Hi , i would have preferred to walk later in the year to ensure being able to walk the SB. I am hoping that I can snowshoe it if conditions are right, but am not too worried if I need to skip. (It will give me an excuse to come back).