Stages to skip over

Hiawatha

As much as I hate the thought, I may have to take some sort of transport over a stage or two to make up time , my attitude has always been every step or none but this situation differs a little .
I leave from Aosta on the 8th of May but through fortuitous circumstance I have a chance to attend a Papal mass in Rome ,something I should not miss as I am completing this Pilgrimage in memory of my recently departed mother . Unfortunately it occurs a few days earlier than I had anticipated arriving in Rome , I suppose I could ask His Holiness to postpone it for a day or two but I've lost his mobile number :)
I did read a thread somewhere about a day or two that is largely urban or industrial type terrain , it is this I would rather miss than the ' nicer ' bits .
Any recommendations on which stages I should miss because of this would be very much appreciated .

William Marques

Staff member
As much as I hate the thought, I may have to take some sort of transport over a stage or two to make up time , my attitude has always been every step or none but this situation differs a little .
I leave from Aosta on the 8th of May but through fortuitous circumstance I have a chance to attend a Papal mass in Rome ,something I should not miss as I am completing this Pilgrimage in memory of my recently departed mother . Unfortunately it occurs a few days earlier than I had anticipated arriving in Rome , I suppose I could ask His Holiness to postpone it for a day or two but I've lost his mobile number :)
I did read a thread somewhere about a day or two that is largely urban or industrial type terrain , it is this I would rather miss than the ' nicer ' bits .
Any recommendations on which stages I should miss because of this would be very much appreciated .
Any of the stages between Ivrea and Piacenza could be missed as they are much the same, flat between rice fields. The section either along the coast or inland a few days before Lucca was not my favourite either. The last day into Rome is urban but you would not want to miss completing the last 100km.

caminka

between vercelli and fidenza you can skim off about 10 days of flat rice field walking. vercelli is too nice to miss in my opinion (fine basilica, two former hospices, a chapel of local pilgrim guglielmo who's been to santiago, rome and jerusalem) and in fidenza one shouldn't miss the famous pilgrim frieze and the oldest signpost pointing to rome, on the cathedral.

if you wish to cross the po with danilo, then skip vercelli to orio litta, about 6 days. both have train stations.

frida1

I agree. In addition, trains, busses and even taxis are available in many towns if you need to skip a day here and there.

Adrian

Hi
Although Piacenza itself is worth a visit the roads in and out are dreadful. The book even suggests going by train. You could go by train the Fiorenzuola D’arda

frida1

On our walk from Aosta to Rome, we actually rented bikes to travel through the Po Valley from Irea to Piacenza. We meant to take 3 days. The first day was great. The second day had so much traffic I was scared to death, so we took the train on the third day from Pavia to Piacenza. (Much against the inclination of my partner!) We enjoyed Piacenza and Pavia very much, they are both beautiful. Although we started our walk in September, there was also a horrendous heat wave in 2018 that made walking across the plain quite arduous. We took a short taxi ride out of Piacenza in order to complete the entire walk to Fioruenzola (35k). Before the Via Francigena, I was always a "walk every step" type, but in Italy there is so much to see! I found we needed to use some transportation in order to have time to spend some extra mornings and afternoons in these beautiful places we may never see again. It did change the feel and intent of the walk though.