Starting from Dublin

kevinthepilgrim

Hi. I have walked 11 Caminos de Santiago including one from Ireland and intend to start Via Francigena next year from Glendalough and walk to Dublin and ferry to England. Any suggestions on a walking route to Canterbury from there? Also considering an April or July start and looking for suggestions on that? Thank you.

Roving rufus

Hey Kevin - sounds like a great idea!
No idea of a route to Canterbury because I have a route planned out (that I will use some day when I have time!) to connect in with the Via Francigena at Reims using ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg, following a GR to Mont St Michel and then using a pilgrim route that connects Paris & Mont St Michel, and then there is a "marked" pilgrim route from Paris to Reims
Keep us updated on the planning though! It would be great to find that route to Canterbury itself too!

kevinthepilgrim

No idea of a route to Canterbury because I have a route planned out (that I will use some day when I have time!) to connect in with the Via Francigena at Reims using ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg, following a GR to Mont St Michel and then using a pilgrim route that connects Paris & Mont St Michel, and then there is a "marked" pilgrim route from Paris to Reims
Keep us updated on the planning though! It would be great to find that route to Canterbury itself too!
I walked last year from West Clare to Santiago and walked from Cherbourg to Mt. St. Michel. Wonderful stretch. Make sure and walk across bay to MSM and stay in Sanctuary at top near abbey.

Pamash

Hi Kevin, which ferry service to England do you plan to take? If you google national trails or the Long Distance Walking Association in the UK you may be able to plan a route from those. There is also the British Pilgrimage Trust who may be able to help you. I know there is a Pilgrims Route from Winchester to Canterbury, but obviously you need to get there first! All the best.

Tim Redmond

@kevinthepilgrim welcome. It may be worth connecting with Anja Bakker http://theflautingharper.com/ also on Facebook but I can’t find her here. She started last year from her home 'somewhere down your way' and continued to Rome but not through Dublin. She went through S Wales. Until recently I lived near Glendalough and walked from Canterbury to Thessaloniki last year and this year,but am based now near London. You could I suppose start in Hollywood and pass through Glendalough and on to Rosslare?? By strange coincidence I happen to be in Penmaenmawr on the N Wales coast right this minute and if you got boat to Holyhead you'd possibly pass through here.
Look at this link....
https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Cistercian+Way+(Wales)
The Cistercian Way exists. I know people who have cycled it and who have walked parts.
Are you on the "other" forum? Even though it is a Camino forum, it has active sub-forums for VF and many other routes
And there are subforums there for lots of other routes.
I wish you Buen Camino. Would be interested to hear what you decide. Tim

kevinthepilgrim

Sounds good. Thanks. I walked to Santiago from Clare last year and ferried from Rosslare to Cherbourg and then walked to MSM which was great. I then continued south although I was going to walk then to Paris but time constraints forced me to go south fairly directly to St. Jean de Angely where I picked up Camino Tours the route from Paris to SJPP.